Confessions of a Shopoholic


I've been reading the above-mentioned book courtesy of Daisy's impressive library. I'm not liking it as much as I thought I would. The protagonist is so predictable and basically a walking stereotype. And I find the humor in the book stupid for the most part. That, and I don't think it's very funny making up lame excuses for avoiding paying your bills/debts. It's so childish and irresponsible. And it frustrates me that some people may read this book and figure that young women out in the world operate just like Becky (the main character) to some degree or another. Basically making us 20-somethings look like airheaded flakes.

I guess that wraps up why I don't like this book in a nutshell...it's casting my generation of ladies as frivolous, immature, mindless freaks.

However, I will admit that my shopping MO can be akin to Becky's on occasion, though they overexaggerate her spending philosophies to such a ridiculous extent that once again it gets demeaning.

All that being said, I did feel a lot like a shopping fiend on Saturday. Having had my MRI that morning my mom and I went on a lil shopping spree, dragging the grandma, the daddy, and the baby sister along for the ride.

Since we were already in the NW we ended up at North Hill for some Koryo BBQ. I introduced my parents to the savoury wares of Koryo last time I had an appointment at the Cancer Centre. Now they've become afficionados for the stuffs. It's a safe bet that if we're in the area they won't even contemplate any other lunch options but Koryo.

Following lunch it stood to reason that since we were at North Hill already we should check out the clearance sales. Sunridge and North Hill are my strategic spots for securing goods that I've seen earlier on shopping trips to busier malls. It's almost guaranteed that I'll find the size/color/style I'm looking for at these two malls since their merchandise moves so much slower than at Chinook and downtown. For some reason I don't mind sharing that secret tidbit with the rest of you. I doubt we'd all go after the same things anyway or any of you would actually get crazed over a particular item as to go out of your way to locate it.

Booty acquired: yet another pair of velour track pants (quickly amassing a collection of these) and a nice 2-zip cardigan for work, also whipped by the dollar store to pick up one of those gentle-wash laundry bags. Thought I did quite well, only item I could've saved any more money on would've been the cardigan since it wasn't quite half off yet.

And well hey, since we're in the north why don't we head NE and stop by Ikea?

Oh wait! T&T Market (Asian shopping area) is right on the way! And mom has been canvassing for a karaoke machine... Ah ha! Bingo, found one. Family is ecstatic...we are now the proud owners of a karaoke/dvd/vcd/mp3 player and 4 new karaoke discs. Talk about truly embracing our Asian-ness at this point, huh?

I heart Ikea. My (own) house will be filled with designs courtesy of a tantalizing combination of Ikea, Caban, and Urban Outfitters.

The damage? I bought 6 kitschy placemats for our kitchen table, a CD storage drawer for my new desk, and a trippy CD tower that goes very well with my new computer desk and my budding entertainment complex. (I think these past few purchases have pretty much dictated the color scheme and style/feel of my future living room).

Ah yes, life is good. Let's head home to play around with our new toys. Did I break the bank today? Goodness, no! My whole Ikea purchase and my clothes totalled 80 bucks max. I love great shopping days.

Unfortunately, with all the shopping goodness that went on, Daisy and I were unable to catch the Viva Mexico exhibit at the Glenbow. Good thing it's on for another month. Change of plans; meet up on the 10 and just do all our lil shopping/exchanging errands at Chinook together. I exchanged my Brooklyn Old Navy shirt...for a smaller size, no less! *thrilled* Bought my brother's birthday present, a microphone for the karaoke machine, some Oreo cereal out of curiosity, and a pair of gloves. The gloves will have to be returned tomorrow...did some "consumer product testing" that nite and they're not very Calgary-winter-weather-friendly. Go figure!

And thusly, this lil shopaholic was spent.

Comments