Excuse me, sir/miss. An opinion, if you please.


Some of you may already know this, but this lil girl had a date with an internet pal last Friday.

And even if things work out in my favor, boy, did I ever learn something over the past few days. My mom would be disappointed if she knew that I hadn't taken the whole "don't judge a book by its cover" lesson seriously when I was younger. Anyway, lesson learned and taken intensely to heart.

Maybe I overanalyzed and read in between the lines a la Daisy a tad too much, but here's how I perceived the whole thing...

Thinking back, I'm sure I jinxed the whole date the moment I opened my front door. I'm embarassed to admit this, but I may have had a disappointed look on my face the first time I saw him. Which is so not what he deserved but nevertheless I almost swear it happened that way. While he wasn't something horrible, he also wasn't the type of guy I had pictured myself being with image-wise. Karma was going to make me pay big time for being so shallow.

By the time we were on our way in his truck I had once again remembered why I had wanted to meet him in the first place. And instantly I regretted the earlier impressions in my doorway. As dinner went on and I got to learn more about him I began to feel even more guilty. This guy was so sweet and wonderful. I was really starting to think that maybe he was the guy I've always said I've been looking for, just in a little different packaging.

aqua angel is always quick to remind us girls "It's interesting what you'll overlook if you think he's really right" or something like that. (Do you see how I never truly listen to all these life lessons being given to me???)

Honestly, this guy was A LOT of what I've blathered on about what I want in a guy. Even things that I throw into the list jokingly. During dinner on our Edmonton trip Civic asked me to list off qualities that I'm looking for in a dood. I kidded that if the guy can make a kickass tiramisu then I'd be all his. (For the record, Friday's date was with Moschino) Moschino makes this and more. I wasn't even serious about that lil bit of criteria and here's this dood...making the grade in so many ways!

Ok, so that was a ridiculous example. One important thing where I felt we had a lot in common was music. And you all know how major music is in my life. He also loves to travel, we share similar ideas on what is considered fun, and we both shop like fiends. I swear, him and I are probably responsible for at least half of Calgary's economy. *s*

As the night wore on he just became sweeter and sweeter and I felt crummier and crummier. If he had noticed my initial reaction to him, how was I supposed to make up for that and make it clear that I was enjoying my nite out with him? I was all shy and I don't think my increasing enthusiasm was very well communicated by the end of the date.

An emergency summit was put together by Daisy. Latina and Lethal were in attendance for the consultation/conference at the Chocolate Bar. My mind was swirling with my perceptions of how the date had went. Did I come off all cold? Was he just being polite the whole night after possibly seeing the disappointment in my face at the start of our date? If I'm lucky and the interest is mutual, can I look past his appearance (which isn't that bad, I don't know why I'm so stuck on it) to really enjoy myself with him?

It didn't really help that the girls were all asking me what he looked like. But hey, everyone asks that. Needless to say, not much was resolved that nite.

Nothing much was resolved Saturday either. I was dwelling on what may/may not have gone wrong the previous evening. Somehow, Sunday morning, I came to the conclusion that he may very well be a really wonderful match for me. Surely his looks could not possibly overshadow all the terrific things I knew and liked about him.

But I didn't hear from him Saturday and not much on Sunday...which made me dread the the possibility that maybe I really had seriously screwed this one up.

Civic tried to help me be optimistic about the situation and that maybe things weren't as ruined as I thought they might be.

When I whined to Karate Kid about how I hadn't heard much from Moschino over the weekend (and it's really hard not to get in touch with people when you're all online) he pleaded the "3 day rule" I told him I didn't think the 3 day rule could apply to "online relationships" just 'cuz it's so hard to avoid/ignore a person online without coming across as a jerk when really you're just trying to build up suspense.

When I explained what I was thinking and how I felt to Mijo, he replied "You made your bed now sleep in it." Whatta guy, huh? *l* So much for being supportive or softening the blow.

Daisy thinks he likes me, but I think she's just being her cheerleading supportive self. If I were him, it'd be hard to try things out with someone who I knew was not too into me initially, even if they later changed their mind and thought I was fantastic.

Anyway, I've tried hinting at the fact that I wouldn't mind a second time out so I can pay him back for the first date. But he just shrugs it off and says it's alright. I'm not sure if I'm supposed to take that as him not being interested in a second go-round or he doesn't feel the need for me to pay my share. He says he had fun that night, but how do I know he's not just being polite and friendly? Augh, going insane.

Anyway, so this is now where you come in with your input. What you think I should say/do next...what you perhaps think he's thinking...what you believe I'm totally off the mark about or what I'm dead on about. A N Y T H I N G would be totally appreciated.

Comments