What do you do when the record stops?


Saturday afternoon, Daisy and I were a couple of the attendees at the Jubilee blessed with a kickass performance of Saturday Night Fever: The Musical. Seeing as Saturday Night Fever is one of my fave movies of all time I prayed that this troupe would not disappoint.

They soooo did not.

Can you dig it, baby? I knew that you could!

I had anticipated this day for months. Months! I fretted over how exactly they would translate the brilliant movie onto a stage. Would Bobby C die falling off the Brooklyn Bridge? Would Annette weep with guilt after sleeping with Joey and Double J?

Would Tony perform that famous routine at 2001 Odyssey?

Luckily for me, they kept all of that in there. It just wasn't as moving as the film, simply due to their limited array of props. For one thing, there was no car. Took a bit of imagination to figure out what Annette was going through, and even then, unless you saw the movie, you did not realize the severity of her situation.

And instead of roaming the city on the subway late at night to think, he ended up walking to his favorite park bench (though the track with the subway running could be heard). Anyway, being a diehard fan I was too critical. This was not supposed to be a deep and depressing movie, but rather it was supposed to be a musical.

And in that respect, it blew me away. They sang, they danced. They were dressed in all that retro 70s disco goodness. Ah yes, bring on that disco goodness!

The guy who played Monty (Darren Lorenzo) did a fantastic job singing Disco Inferno. He brought so much more into Monty than I ever got out of the film character.

I felt Bobby C's voice (Cameron Stevens) was a lot better than Tony's (Ryan Ashley). However, true to the movie's form, Tony danced a lot better than Bobby C. Moreover, he was hot. And Tony should always be hot *grins*

Stephanie (Jennifer Mrozik) and Annette (Dena Digiacinto) were a tad confusing at times given that the play gave them similar hairstyles. Personally, I preferred Annette's voice. However, just like Tony vs. Bobby C, it's the dancing that counts the most in a story such as this. Annette's solo "If I Can't Have You" was spectacular, though.

All in all, I loved the show. Personally, some scenes required you to use your imagination a bit more than others due to prop technicalities. It could leave you rather confused if you haven't seen the movie. I'm so glad I had the opportunity to be there, though. It was a great experience. Great food for this disco-driven soul. *grins*

Comments