Mr. Brightside can stay

I caught The Killers show last night. Verrrrry glad I went.

Tegan and Sara were the opening act. I'm ashamed to say I never paid much attention to them despite their being "Calgary-girls-making-it-big." Now I'm hooked; thoroughly impressed. Consequently I bought their latest CD and 6 buttons from their souvenir stand. To those of you attending Coachella this weekend, I reccommend checking them out. 2nd stage, 5:30pm, May 1st.

I would've bought Killers memorabilia but I didn't like the t-shirts. And the tote bag they were selling, though now I'm suffering from lack-of-buying-remorse, didn't seem worth the cash at the time.

There were quite a few young'uns at the show. It sort of killed the vibe. The two girls sitting next to me looked like they were in junior high, complete with a father/chaperone in tow. As they bent their knees in a foolish bop and awkwardly/self-consciously throwing a random fist in the air I stayed in my seat...feeling slightly old. Unfortunately, there were quite a few of us who stayed in our seats. It's not that I wanted to offend The Killers, it just seemed like the polite thing to do.

Except when Somebody Told Me started up. At that point I decided "screw the people behind me sitting down and not dancing, I NEED to get up for this." So I stood up and did my thing.

Somebody Told Me holds a somewhat special place in my heart. I realize most people will say that the song is about a guy confronting a girl who's dating a cross-dresser. To me, it strikes a chord with two individuals I know whose personal images are borderline cross-gender. Just their image, mind you. It's not in what they do or say. Aw hell, I guess it does apply to their demeanor and behavior as well.

"Somebody told me that you have a boyfriend (the girl I know in the relationship)
that looks like a girlfriend (the guy I know in the relationship, ironic, no?)
that I had in February of last year."(the date fits in so well with my present life...not that I had a girlfriend or boyfriend...just February, yeah)

Yeah, so the girl looks pretty butch and he looks a little overly-metrosexual. I don't hold it against them. Like I said, the song holds a special place en mi corazon. I'm just glad I look like a woman, and I will never be disappointed in my womanliness. Can you see my head swelling? I thought so.

I loved the show...even when they played Mr. Brightside. I'm not a big Mr. Brightside fan. I thought I would just tolerate that song at the show, but I actually enjoyed it. Especially Brandon Flower's snazzycakes sequined tie and his glittery keyboard stand. The flashing fittingly Vegas-style logo above them had me mesmerized. I love their logo.

Thank goodness they sold more tickets...I was somewhat choked when they sold out the first venue. It would have been nice to be out on the floor, then for sure I would have danced with everyone else, but my seats were still fantastic and I will never regret catching them live.

Comments