Let's talk about cars


The convenience of having a car is indisputable, somedays I totally wish I could drive. However, the truth remains the same: I WAS NOT BORN TO DRIVE.

My best friend, Posie, has just signed up for driving lessons, but she has a really good reason to learn how to drive. I would learn to drive, too, just in case my baby has to go to the hospital for an emergency, or even just to get home to my baby earlier. Lana's an angel, I think all of us here would do anything for that child. Daisy's still practicing for her driver's exam. Me, I've taken my lessons, had my learner's for over 5 years now, I've even had to renew it! My excuses for not driving are running out. Poor Jetta's gone so I don't have to worry about driving standard anymore, and if I were driving then my brother couldn't complain about how he has to drive the Neon when I was the one who got to pick it when I don't even drive.

Hm, maybe someday. Someday soon? Let's just leave it at plain old someday.

Don't get me wrong, the freedom and the time saved would be wonderful, but I don't see myself becoming part of the traffic madness. I'm happy being a pedestrian/passenger. For one thing, I have issues with being responsible for controlling such a large heap of metal. They feel so heavy and overpowering when I drive, especially when I'm driving faster. Another thing that worries me even more is I don't trust the other drivers out there. You could be doing everything right and still die or get hurt in an accident because of some jerkoff.

People say I would be able to give better directions (that is, give them actual street names to work with) if I drove, I don't think anything would change in that respect *s* I'd still tell people to go past the Wal-Mart, past the Hospitality Inn, past the Mac's and Willy's, and then turn right before the pedestrian crossing.

But even though I can't/don't drive....there are still cars out there that I would absolutely love to have. Maybe I could just buy them and sit in the driver's seat feeling pretty *s* Most of them are Volkswagens thanks to my dad's influence growing up. I love the Golf, the Cabriolet, the Jetta, and Beetle new and old. They'd have to be automatic, of course, 'cuz there's no way I'm going to drive a standard. And it'd hafta have a good sound system that doesn't get too distorted and loud. That's one beautiful thing about cars, they're like big travelling listening booths. Cars are also nice for carrying things, lots more space than you could possibly have in your purse! *s*

Since getting their cars/learning how to drive, a lot of my friends can't be bothered to use the transit. One girl, we'll call her Lethal, she absolutely hates the C-Train, thinking it's full of germs and stuffs. Even when we had mandatory buspasses issued by the university/college, they still paid for parking their cars on campus. So obviously no amount of money can be named for the value of having one's car around. But then I also have a friend in L.A. who's selling his car, and this is in Los Angeles, not lil Calgary! I asked him how he was going to get to work and stuffs, and he's actually willing to take the bus. Clearly, his car had a value that simply wasn't worth it to him.

Well, I guess we'll see if the world sees Leah behind the wheel someday. It shall be interesting.

Comments