You are now leaving the free-fare zone


Sure, you can argue that I only love public transit 'cuz I don't have much choice, but I think it's a wonderful way to liven up one's day. I read in someone else's blog that they thought cars were ugly. She didn't mean they look ugly, she just thought they were a miserable way to get around in life. I would have to agree. Everyday you get in your car and it's just you, or you and some friends or you and your family...anyway, the point is when you're driving in your car it's going to be the same experience (unless your car breaks down or whatever) every single frigging day. Everyone who steps into your car is someone you know, so you never get to meet anybody new. Whereas with public transit, planes, buses, trains, boats even, more likely than not you will be sitting next to someone you don't know. Whether or not it's a pleasant journey between the strangers or it becomes somewhat screwy, it will always be different.

I was reminded of that yesterday. On the shuttle bus home yesterday, this drunk fool was bugging this teenage couple. The two kids were pretty kewl about it. Here's this drunk guy swigging vodka out of his water bottle while the couple are trying hard not to laugh Sometimes I wanted the young guy to just be a man and tell the drunk to leave them alone, but they seemed ok with it all. My favorite part of the trip was when the guy was trying to tell the drunk a joke and he wasn't getting it, the convo went like this:

Young guy: Due to circumcisions beyond my posterior, you may be able to see my point.
Drunk guy: Nope, I'm afraid I can't relate to that, I'm not Jewish.

There's this film that I read about a couple years ago called Subway Stories. It was based on submissions from commuters on NYC's subway line about real experiences they've had on the train. I'd really like to see it, but I haven't been able to find it any of the rental stores, I may just have to order it with AnB. C-Train Stories, I wonder if something like that would actually fly? *s*

Comments