El chocolate


So Civic calls me at work yesterday afternoon. His class starts at 6:30 so he has time to kill (no sense going home) thus we ended up wandering about after I finished work. We ended up at the Palliser to check out Death By Chocolate. Me and my pricey suggestions!

So yeah, we were a tad underdressed. Me and my puffy urban jacket, him and his jeans. But I was determined to get me some of that tiramisu once again! Being that I've only been to the Palliser twice in my life I was completely turned around as to how to get to the frigging Death By Chocolate. Ask the front desk ('cuz I was unsure if we'd have to tip the concierge if he helped us out) and she directs us to one spot. Ask the maitre d' at the lounge and she directs us further in. Ask one of the servers and "tada" we were apparently in the right spot: the Oakroom. Still totally turned around we grab ourselves a table and try and work out our next move. THIS was clearly not the same sort of Death By Chocolate we were expecting based on our experience in Edmonton.

Server lady comes by and gives us a bowl of nuts to nosh on and a drink/noshies menu to peruse. Flipping through the menu we find out that the Death By Chocolate at the Palliser refers to a chocolate buffet on Tuesdays and Thursday (Lucky we picked a Tuesday to check out the place or else we would've looked like morons). "What?!?" I ask. Doth my ears deceive me? My head was reeling over the possibilities! Chocolate fountains....chocolate fondue...tiramisu!

We inquire about the DBC and server lady gushes about it and encourages us to go take a peek at the wares. We walked over to where we assumed the buffet to be, and there was no action going on, no chef preparing the flambe/brulee stuffs on the burners, no mass amounts of chocolate to mull over. Nothing to inspire us to shell out the 13 dollars. All the more baffled we return to our table and resort to drinks and maybe noshies.

Hmmmm...maybe not. Garlic patates frites alone cost 9 bucks. I'm not paying 9 bucks for french fries! Decided on a chocolate orange martini and that's it...definitely a place to return to on a more special occasion rather than a typical day. The martini was soooo good and insanely potent. In that regard it was great value, I commented to Civic. The cost of 1.5 cocktails at a typical bar but giving the buzz of more than 3! Excellent. I think we'll be back when we're dressed more snazzy and we have reason/occasion justifying the high end posh cost.

Also last nite, sparks flew (literally) from my computer. Scared the monkeys out of me! It won't turn on at all anymore. Weird Kid is being a dear baby brother and we're going to take it over to the shop tonite after dinner. I've only had the machine less than 3 months! And the love/hate relationship between me and computers rages on...

Comments