Ohana


"Ohana, that means family. It means nobody gets left behind."

Ahh, Lilo and Stitch. I loved that movie. I cried during that movie. But let's face it, I cry at a lot of movies. I cried during Aladdin when Al set Genie free. I cried during Free Willy when Jesse helped Willy escape. I even cried when Jim realized he wasn't in love with Nadia and went running to his band geek lover, Michelle. (Rumor mill: American Pie 3 is currently filming. Jim and Michelle are getting married. Grain of salt, people, remember this is only a rumor.) I cry, it's what I do, and it feels dang good.

Need to get back on track, that was not the whole purpose of this entry.

It has come to my attention several times that some peeps question my lack of motivation for moving out at the ancient age of 23. *lol* I would assume that this also comes from those who can not understand having such a close familial relationship.

Civic, for instance, couldn't wrap his mind around the fact that my parents don't need any time alone together. But, for some inexplicable reason it's true. And it's not like we haven't tried. My brother and I have given them money for dinner (for anniversaries) and made reservations for 2. Mom. Dad. Two people in total. What do they do? They ALWAYS call the restaurants back and change the reservation to accommodate all of us. "We are all a part of this anniversary! You kids wouldn't be here if we weren't together."

True true. We just thought they'd appreciate a little privacy.

But too much of their family togetherness attitude has worn off on me, I think. Not that it isn't a good thing, but it sure makes it difficult to leave them. In fact, I think it will be devastating once I'm alone in a small apartment. Too quiet. Too cold. Too dead.

Too lonely.

Not seeing these 5 faces on a daily basis is a dismal prospect.

But I'm not delusional. I know I'm going to have to leave sooner or later, and it's probably going to be sooner rather than later. I can't imagine living at home past 25. (Eeek.)

My mom did more than just leave home when she moved out, she left the country. Somedays I just want to give her a big hug, I think there are days when she regrets moving so far away. Unlike my dad, she has no family here. Nobody else in her family moved out of the country. Just her. In the 23 years of my life, she's been "home" 6 times, and 2 of those occasions weren't very joyous 'cuz they were my grandparents' funerals. Phone calls can't possibly be enough, and the art of letter-writing is fading into nothingness.

We used to watch Party of Five together, and one of our family friends mentioned how their younger children always gather together at the older sister's house every weekend for dinner.

"I hope you guys are that close when we're gone. You kids have to take care of each other." My mom would tell me.

And I hate it when she talks about them being gone, but she has nothing to worry about. Me and my sibs will be in touch for years and years to come. We may not be Hawaiian but I really believe in ohana.

Comments