Break!


I had a wonderful lunch hour today. So calm. So relaxing. I didn't spend a single dime. Well alright, I bought a Toffee Nut Latte and donated 2 bucks to the Devonian. But otherwise it was perfect. Just me, my lunch, my book, and the beautiful Devonian Gardens.

The Devonian Gardens are one of those things that you completely take for granted on a day to day basis. I walk right under it day after paper-pushing day. I haven't spent some quality time there in years.

As soon as I got there I strolled around for a bit. There are a lot of areas I don't remember. I just remember the statue of the dog, the fish ponds/falls, and the little stage.

I loved that stage when I was a lil girl. I think everybody has childhood pictures of them dancing around on the stage. I was no exception. My parents were my captive audience, sitting on those tree stump stools. And I danced my little heart out for them like an itty bitty clown.

That stage still didn't lose its appeal once I entered into grade school. I remember a kindergarten field trip to the gardens. Mom was a volunteer supervisor for the trip, and I was wearing this happy yellow dress with an electric pleated skirt. Those electric pleats looked amazing when I spun around. This I learned upon resuming my special spot on that stage, this time twirling around like a little whirling dervish. My trance was broken, however, when Karate Kid started laughing at me. Apparently I was spinning so fast that, if you were to get down on your knees like Karate Kid did, then you could see my underwear. Boys! Honestly!!

There was a pretty gazebo next to the stage with some ivy and lights all around. Looks like they were getting ready for another wedding ceremony. While I wouldn't get married in the gardens, I thought about how kitschy it would be to share my first dance with my husband there. And both of our parents and all our family and friends could be our captive audience on those crazy tree-stump stools. However, that would throw my other lil wedding plans all askew.

Comments