My Funny Valentine

So the working day is winding down, and thusly Valentine's Day and the ensuing long weekend can begin in earnest. But before I go, I just have to share my day with you all. I intended to not blog at all today so that all of you would see the valentine I've made for you upon your visit. If you have not seen it yet, it's right below this entry. Simple, yet fun. That's me.

Ok, so to recount the first 17 hours of Valentine's Day 2003, Leah-style...

It's been snowing lightly all day, I think it's beautiful. However, the snow likes to play tricks on your legs. It's in cahoots with the ice, you see, and they have great fun victimizing unsuspecting young ladies in high-heeled biatch boots.

I was minding my own business, strutting my strut, doing my thing, all the way to the bus stop. Then "whoosh," down I go! So much for the sexy strut, the hotness. To add insult to my lil booboo, the bus drove right past me as I was picking myself up off the sidewalk. Grrrrrr!

So, I'm late for work, luckily they love me here at the agency. Lunchtime stealthily approaches. I had plans to meet up with a friend for lunch. I was kind of unsure whether or not to keep the lunch "date" 'cuz we're friends and it's Valentine's Day and I don't want it to mean anything special just 'cuz it's V day. But I know it looks like it should mean more and he might think it means more but that's not what I mean, you know what I mean? *sigh* Anyway, it mattered not what I meant and didn't mean 'cuz in the end I was the last one to take a lunch break here at work. Left a message on his celly not to wait for me, and I'd stop by when I finally got a break, and oh, happy Valentine's Day.

But I had a lot of fun on the way to go visit him! Oh boy, did I ever!

I was taking my fine ass to his store, taking the outdoor route along Stephen Ave. Kinda seething 'cuz I got out so late, but I figured I'd be a trooper and make an appearance. I was halfway there, clearly obvlivious to what was going on all around me. Suddenly, there's this dood walking alongside me. Below is the convo as I remember it:

Hi

Hi

Where are you from?

Well, I was born here, but my parents are from the Philippines.

I thought so. For the record, I really like Filipinas.

That's great.

What's your name?

Leah

That's very pretty. Do you want to go for coffee?

Actually, I'm on my way somewhere else. I'm meeting someone.

Can I have your number?

Uh, no. I don't think you'll need it.

I can call you later and we can go for coffee.

Nah, that ain't a good idea.

Oh...so you have a boyfriend?

Yeah...yeah, I do.

What nationality is he?

Well...

Is he Canadian?

Yeah...yeah, he is.

You should taste an Iraqi sometime. We are very big, you will like.

Oh, well, yeah...I'll make a note of that, thanks. (End of conversation, splitting ways)

Augh, holy crap! Back the frick up, dood! *shakes her head incredulously* Happy Valentine's Day to me, indeed! I still need to tune up my game, still give too much authentic information, but at least I know when to lie when it really counts.

Finally made it to my friend's store but, like I said, he had already had lunch. Nothing else to do but chit chat for a bit. However, that didn't last very long 'cuz I was actually pretty hungry at this point. I dreaded going back out there in case Mr. Iraqi Stallion was lurking somewhere, but I sucked it up and I did it. Never ran into him again, thank god.

Guards up, ladies, the creeps are on the prowl.

Comments