Two dimensions: vocal talent and image

This is what Simon Cowell said would be 2 categories of ranking for this year's American Idol contest. Alas, I somehow doubt it'll work out that way.

Take tonite's performers...Kimberley and Reuben totally ripped their songs. However, they were also the more heavy-set/full-figured of the bunch. Will the audience actually base their vote purely on talent? In a perfect world they would. I mean, Reuben doesn't need to be a sex symbol to sell CDs. And Kimberley's quite pretty. If I had my way, they would be the 2 chosen out of last night's group to enter into the top 10. The "prettier" singers were weaker, with no breath support, no stage presence, no style. Actually, that's not entirely true. The girl who sang the cabaret-style song can really sing. But she's no competition for Kimberley in this round. I agree with the judges' praise on this one. I have to root for Reuben and Kimberley. However, the audience has been known to disappoint so who knows what will happen?

Comments