A dream is a wish your heart makes

I had the strangest dream a couple of nights ago. But first, some background info.

There was this one guy back in high school, we'll call him ShyGuy. He was a year ahead of me but we were in the senior choir together. I'd say he was the strong silent type. First impressions would lead you to believe that he's a shy one. However, once you get to know him, or even just observe how people relate to him, you'd realize he wasn't shy at all. Quiet, yes, shy, no. I didn't really talk to him much, but whenever I did I could tell right away that he was a super guy, and that's why everyone thought he was so great. Anyway, let me move on with this. Not only is he a great guy, but he was an amazing musician. He was part of our vocal ensemble (a smaller, more fantabulous subgroup of our senior choir) and I was always amazed at how quickly he could pick up a whole tune on the piano, harmonies and all, completely by ear. Remember K-Ci and JoJo's "All My Life?" Yeah, this guy was plunking out the song on the piano within minutes of hearing it. I was floored one day in choir class when we were going through theory *groans* and he asked me for help with the chords. The guy had never taken any musical training in his life! Needless to say I had to share this news with my mom. I had always told her (based on my observations of fellow piano students when I was younger) that training develops skills, but without possessing the gift, or true talent, all the training in the world kind of falls flat on you compared to someone who truly "gets it."

Anyway, I had only mentioned him once, but somehow my mom and my best friend had gotten to talking about him numerous times. When my mom finally saw him at one of our choir performances, she immediately, some would say instinctively, thought he would be perfect for me. I'm not sure where she got that notion but when Posie caught wind of my mom's idea, she backed it 100% as well. Here are 2 women whose opinions and ideas matter a lot to me, and they're telling me to go after this guy with whom I've spoken maybe 100 sentences tops. Luckily, they never really pushed me to be aggressive in the matter. But I always hear about it whenever we see him at Church or at the mall or whatever.

*catches her breath* Whoo, that was really long-winded.

So, yeah, my dream....

I was at some community hall/rec centre with my family and some family friends, Posie included. All of a sudden ShyGuy has his arm around me, hugging me from behind, all that couple lovey-dovey stuffs. I was thinking "oooookay, I have no clue what just went down." But mom and Posie, and everybody there to be honest, was ecstatic about this new "couple" which had just formed before their eyes. I didn't really argue, I ran with it. It wasn't so bad, actually it was kind of nice. Which was surprising 'cuz other than his amazing musical abilities I never really considered him to be my type. (Interesting side note: Whenever I hookup with some guy in my dreams, it's always always always at some undistinguishable community hall/rec centre. Sometimes I don't know anybody else there but the guy, other times I know everybody there. I really need to find out what that means.)

So this went on for a little while, and it was pretty clear that everybody there just absolutely loved ShyGuy. I was feeling pretty happy about that; I just nabbed Mr. Man of the Hour. But then again, he's the one who picked me, not the other way around. So that should make me extra-special, right?

We left the hall and went to some house where all my friends were having a party. More introductions and more of my world loving him. It was crazy. Here's this guy that I didn't really think was my sort of man, and everyone who has any sort of influence on me, who's opinion matters to me, is telling me that this guy is IT. It's not like my instincts are arguing with their verdict, either.

So after practically a whole day of this virtual "love-in" the two of us are finally alone. I'm all happy-beaming. And so he leans in to give me a kiss, but first he pops my fluoride trays in my mouth. And he's kissing me like that!

And then I woke up. Madness, I tell you! The only parallel I can get out of this dream is that everybody was saying he's good for me, and my fluoride trays are something good for me which I have been neglecting for a couple of months now. (I'm supposed to pop them in for 10 minutes every other day 'cuz apparently radiation has done a serious job on my teeth so they need total preventative maintenance to avoid having them get all ugly on me.) Therefore, the moral of the dream is that I should get back onto those fluoride trays.

Well noted, and I did my fluoride job for today. *quite proud of herself*

It's amazing how your mind works, huh? How it gives you little reminders in such an obscure fashion?

Comments