This sure isn't Dublin

Thanks to Daisy for getting my butt out and about today. I'm not usually one for St. Patty's Day events.

She met up with me after work. Her mission? St. Patrick's Day debauchery. Kudos to her for being such an optimistic sport...I felt like a stick in the mud. Visions of drunken fools and crazy fiddle melodies filled my head and my heart just wasn't into it all. First off she dragged me over to the James Joyce Pub. Cover there was 5 dollars and I wasn't willing to fork over 5 bucks to get in there. I've been there before and there was no way it was worth 5 dollars. Not saying it's not a nice place, but it's not worth paying to get into.

Even though I was whining about not liking beer and blah blah blah I dragged her along Stephen Avenue in the opposite direction towards Ceili's. I figured more people our age + less business suits = more fun for us. Apparently the Pennylane Entertainment Group (dang them!) anticipated people thinking this as well. The cover to get into Ceili's? 10 dollars. Bah. Well, we were at the better venue anyway so I sucked it up and payed the cover. Man was Ceili's ever packed! All three floors!

There were no tables to be had on the first floor and the second floor was even more jammed, if that's even possible. I suppose this could be attributed to the band. They were quite good, actually, playing Beatles rock tunes while donning kilts. But the heat the crowd was generating and the crazy closeness of all these guys with beer-breath quickly drove us upstairs to the rooftop patio. Can you believe that was my first time at Ceili's? Their patio has got to be one of the nicest ones in the city, hands down.

Daisy had a Creamsicle (Kilkenny mixed with Strongbow) 'cuz it was reccommended to me by a coworker. I must admit, for beer it was pretty good. The cream kinda turned me off, though. I mean, think American Pie. Stifler's beer? There you go.

Still not into the spirit of things, I had a water. Definitely loved the whole rooftop patio thing, though. It almost felt like spring. It almost felt like Bermuda Shorts Day. Dang I miss Bermuda Shorts Day.

The waitress seriously pissed me off, though. Since I'm not a huge fan of beer I thought I'd celebrate St. Patrick's Day with some Irish pub fare. She must've passed us at least 6 times without even asking us if we needed anything. Not even if we needed more drinks! (I wasn't certain if she was just a drinks server or a full-blown server) Wandered through the lower levels again and back up, watched the lineup at the door grow like crazy. I love being where everybody else wants to be, makes me feel special. :) Still no service, yet there were people eating right and left! They were even eating sushi courtesy of wandering waitresses from Zen 8. That's Pennylane for ya!

Ended up at Earl's Tin Palace. We hadn't been there in a while anyway. What did I drink? A mango margarita. Yeah yeah, it's not Irish, but clearly Irish eyes were not smiling upon me over at Ceili's today nor was I feeling the luck of the Irish I may as well go Mexican.

Comments