California Dreamin'

So Mijo asked me again last week if I'm coming down to LA or what?

I bought a guide book on Los Angeles today, not that I'm going to carry it around over there like a geeky little tourist, but must prioritize what I have to see and do there in the short little time I have.

But then our tour operators (and just to clarify, they don't tour your butt around at the destination, it's just what we call the companies who bundle together air and hotel...sometimes car and attraction passes...to make life easier for you. No tour involved whatsoever) wave these wonderful little package deals in my face.

"Leeeeeeah, you know you want to come to Mazatlan."

Or how about "Leeeeeah, the Cuban hotties are calling your name here in Varadero."

And what sucks the most is I know that Mexico or Cuba would be incredible value for my money. I pay upfront and BOOM, all my air, my accommodation, my food, my alcohol, even my water activities (which I'm dying to do) are all paid for. I can do whatever I want, whenever I want, and I wouldn't have to worry about slapping down some pesos on the counter 'cuz it'd all be paid.

Now that, my friends, would be a stress-free vacay.

But on the other hand, Los Angeles is, well, Los Angeles We're talking shopping galore. I can stock up on clothes that nobody up here above the 49th parallel would have within easy access. We're talking Universal Studios, which I have always adored, dare I say more so than Disneyland.

And that is where all the expenses rocket skyhigh. If I go to LA I have to pay for my fare. I have to pay for my meals. I have to pay for my hostel/hotel/whatever. I have to pay for everything.

Considering how quickly my cash flitters away the first few days of a vacation, that's a pretty intimidating scenario; me having to budget my week or so in the City of Angels so I don't starve, have to sleep on the street, or hitchhike my way back to Canada. What's that all aboot, eh?

And to be honest, after all is said and done in this whole comparison dealie, the only major draw that makes L.A. weigh heavier than Varadero and Cancun in my mind is my pal Mijo.

But I could never ever ever tell him that. Last thing I want to do is freak him out.

On the flipside, perhaps it'd be a bad thing meeting him finally (I've known him online for 6 years already. Imagine!). Last time I met a very good online friend was ages and ages ago. We talked on the phone for hours while I was there, we met, all had a good time together.

And then once I was back home and we were back to just being online buds, the friendship just died. Pffffft. Kaput.

But dang it I'm so curious what it'd be like to hang with him in the flesh.

Comments