When a problem comes along you must "whiff" it, "whiff" it good

I have a bone to pick with Mr. Wizard.

When I was a little girl I recalled a particular experiment Mr. Wizard and this girl did where he held a cup of vinegar under the girl's nose while she was blindfolded. He then asked her to speak up when he took the vinegar away. (Don't ask me how I remember these things, it just stuck) A minute or two into the experiment the girl said the vinegar was gone. In actuality, the vinegar was still under her nose.

Mr. Wizard explained that to avoid sensory overload or some jive like that, our brain will shut out things we have smelled already once it has had enough. Yeah, sue me if this explanation isn't legit or scientific enough.

Anyway, as I've gotten older I've sworn by this method of surviving stinky situations. A minute or two of stinkiness and then I'm relieved, free to go on my merry little way.

But it didn't work today, by golly. I now consider Mr. Wizard completely full of it.

One man, or possibly two men (couldn't identify the culprit) who were completely doused in eau de B.O. sat behind me on the train. I instinctively did the "deep breathing" technique but it was of no use. I must have taken inhaled the stench at least 7 excruciating times and the scent just would not go away.

Just when I thought I could not take it any longer the smell disappeared almost instantly. I was ready to praise Mr. Wizard's teachings yet again when I realized the only reason I was free of my odorous trap was because the two men had moved to an empty booth further down the train.

So much for science.

Comments