Step it up

Last week I bought some snazzy kitten-heel mules at Wal-Mart. Wal-Mart! It looks like it's made of raw silk, just plain black, 10 dollars. 10 dollars! (Yes, I feel like repeating myself a lot today) I've never owned a pair of kitten heels before, so I was excited. Just one step away from stilettos. Don't know if I'll ever cross-over to stilettos, but I'm almost there.

Anyway, I decided to wear them today at work to stretch them out a bit while I'm at my desk. Even more daring, I wore them to work to see how long I'd last. It's not too too bad, I'll test it out during my lunch hour. And for those concerned for the well-being of my tootsies, not to worry, I've brought back-up shoes with me.

Getting to work was an adventure in itself as it is. Just stepping out of the house I thought I'd cut across the lawn to get to the bus stop. I was mortified, my heels were jabbing their way into the earth! These were not the types of sandals you could wipe off easily! Before anybody in the house realized they could use me to aerate our lawn for the summer I scuttled the rest of the way on my tiptoes till I reached the firm. solid. concrete. I was safe.

As the bus got to the station I saw the train coming in. I scuttled up the stairs. I tend to scuttle a lot in these shoes, I've realized. Then again, these shoes were not made for sprinting. Jackie Joyner-Kersee I am not. Mid-scuttle I hooked a heel on the stairs...joy! With a half-shriek/half-gasp I turned around and there was my mule, perched daintily on the edge of the stair. The guy coming up behind me seemed rather amused and went to pick it up and hand it to me.

"This is NOT some friggin' Cinderella story!" I thought to myself as I scuttled back to the shoe, slipped it on, gave the guy a sheepish grin, and carried on scuttling about my way.

Whoever called these kitten heels must have been on some crazy crack. Aren't cats always supposed to land on their feet? I'm sure I'll do a tumble at some point today if I keep this up.

Lunchtime, wish me luck.

Comments