Celebrate good times!

Hmmm...I'm actually sleepy and it's only 11:30pm. What is this all about? I guess I might as well heed what my body is saying and get some sleep. Tomorrow is Friday and it looks to be another fun-filled weekend for yours truly!

First of all, congratulations to my wonderful pal, Daisy, for receiving a position as a 3rd grade teacher! Woohoo! I owe the girl a mojito or something. It's a shame that she had to drive last night. *sigh* I love it when things work out for the people I care about. I knew that sending "chuffed" vibes her way would help...or I'd like to think they did. :)

Not only that but us old amigas, Daisy, SunMoon, and I finally got together last night. It felt so good to have her with us once again. So good. You have no idea.

And further tribute to SunMoon's magical friendship powers: she almost had Aqua angel there! I mean, we're talking about a feat that Daisy and I have not been able to accomplish for months. (I believe, since Daisy's birthday in July.) And we all live in Calgary! Then one friend comes back from a land far away and BOOM, our schedules almost almost aligned. Ah well, there is hope yet.

There was so much to catch up on. She didn't bring all her photos with her...booooo. But as she pointed out, that just gives me more incentive to come over to her place and see them there. We feasted at East Side Mario's, and I do mean feasted since we had dessert afterwards (normally you're ready to die after a meal at East Side....die in a good way). To all those who are familiar with East Side Mario's; doesn't that Dinner and a Movie Wednesdays promo rock?! I had my Linguini Chicken Tetrazzini and a pass for the movie later on, all for 19.99! We could not believe our luck. (Although, unfortunately, Daisy had to bow out early and so she is saving her pass for a later day. They're good for a year anyway.) It isn't often when they offer you a package that suits that evening's plans perfectly. Ah, ti amo East Side Mario's. And that's pretty much the extent of my Italian skills. Oh yeah, and "manza manza" and "basta basta," courtesy of Daisy and SunMoon's accounts of staying with the billet family in Italy.

What did we watch? Why, Once Upon A Time In Mexico, of course! If we are comparing the three movies here, I think that El Mariachi and Desperado were better than this one, but that does not mean it was not entertaining. For one thing, Johnny Depp's character, Agent Sands, was wonderful and at times hilarious. As always, Johnny Depp plays his part to the nines. And I realize that there are a lot of Americans out there who aren't keen on him right now, but I doubt that you can deny his superiority in portraying bizarre characters. I was definitely not disappointed in him this time.

As always, Antonio Banderas was fantastic. And Salma Hayek! So her role wasn't that huge, I would still kill to be as kickass as Carolina (Hayek).

I'm not sure if mare has seen it yet or not. I felt that Enrique's part wasn't all that great. They could have given him more purpose in the movie, but the way they utilized him in the story it was as if they cast him in the film due to his celebrity draw.

There were several scenes where I had to avert my eyes away from the screen. Yes, I am squeamish indeed. I could not bear to look into Agent Sands' eyes the final third of the movie (I promise I won't give away anything here). And Marquez' legs! *shudders* Oh man, thank goodness I didn't go with my brother or anything. What is with guys who get you to open your eyes during the worst parts of the movie as a joke? Gah! Mental flashback! *cringes*

Another issue, though this is just being nit-picky: the english translations/subtitles. I can't understand why they would subtitle some peoples' lines and not others. Seeing as I could follow most of what they were saying this was not much of a problem for me. But how can you subtitle one character's questions/lines and not subtitle the other character's responses? I think some people may be unable parts of the movie because of it. But if you don't understand spanish, not to worry, these subtitled scenes do not make up the majority of the movie. Besides, gunfights don't need any translation.

I'm not sure how well SunMoon enjoyed the movie. "Definitely a mindless film." Plus, she seemed to get a bit confused regarding the movie's depiction of "the liberation of Mexico." In all fairness when I was rehashing the movie with her I started to get caught up in the whole "liberation" feel of the movie, when really that was not the case at all! Only thing that I feel would have made this movie better would be a bit more mariachi-ness going on. I mean, he's EL MARIACHI, for crying out loud! Let him do his thing more often!

Oh yeah! And I think I may have met my match in air hockey. Not to mention I've got a new convert to Dance Dance Revolution. Woo hoo!

Comments