A virus of the mind

Well I went to this party thing last night
A lot of people I hadn’t seen in a long time
And they wanted to know about my life,
But making me feel like it wasn’t quite right
Like where’s your kids and where’s your car?
I said I don’t have either but I have a guitar
And I ended up feeling like I was a freak
So I found some wine and something to eat
And I talked to a dog to pass the time
Told myself I’m doing fine,
It’s just a virus of the mind
It’s just a virus of the mind
~ Heather Nova - Virus of the Mind

Dang it, I had my argument all laid out beautifully in my head while I was at work, and now I have a feeling it won't be as eloquent.

Ok, so Mijo's ex-roomie and I were chatting last night and he asked about the guy status. As usual, I told him I was still living single. He then comes back to me with "doesn't it suck?"

Why should it suck? And somewhere during our discussion he says something along the lines of "everyone needs someone."

Yes, I won't argue with that. But I do not feel alone. I've got a wonderful family (the best) and friends that are always there for me. Where is this "need" that I should be experiencing? (And if you're going to say what I think you're going to say, let me just say that thanks to my great friends, "Rocky" takes care of that just fine.)

It's just as bad as when people ask me if I've got a boyfriend...and then when I tell them "no" their next question is "why?" How am I supposed to know? Isn't that a question best answered by all the guys around me? I hate that "Why?" question.

I'll make a mental note to survey guys just so you can have a thoroughly researched answer.

"Excuse me, would you mind answering a few questions? I noticed you walked into Starbucks 10 minutes ago and as of yet you haven't asked me out. Why would that be? Please check all that would apply."

What is with these people? I do not suffer from some sort of emotional deficit due to lack of boyfriendage. My friends have found someone who completes them. I'm very happy for them. But do I feel incomplete because I have not found that someone for me? No. (And in my friends' defence, it's not them who behave as if there's something wrong with me. This rant has nothing to do with them whatsoever. Just as I said, they're wonderful)

And this nonsense about "needing" someone. Last time I felt the need to be in a relationship to validate my worth was maybe junior high...high school. What about you? When did you finally realize that having a snogging partner isn't the be all/end all/crucial to your very existence? Oh, you haven't learned that yet? Well then, the million dollar question is: Are YOU happy with your current status? Both in life and relationships-wise?

Yes, adding another special someone to your circle of loved ones is very nice. In fact, it's fantastic, superb. But that does not mean that life is miserable without one. So watch what you say next time you're talking to someone who's single. You may think that they are to be pitied, when in reality they are probably enjoying life just as much as you.

Comments