Happy Halloween!

Thriller!

It just isn't Halloween without seeing the Thriller video.

That album became my obsession when I was a little girl. I would play our Thriller LP (ooooh, vinyl!) every chance I could get. Parents were concerned I'd scratch their records so they got me a cassette of it to play to my heart's content. Just recently Civic was a doll and "donated" his HMV Club card stamps towards getting me the special edition of Thriller. *sighs proudly* Yup, I've got Thriller in all forms except for 8-track...but I can't even remember if he put it out on 8-track.

Just to feed my obsession further my dad gave me a copy of "The Making of Thriller." I watched it all the time. I even took it with me for show and tell one week in 1st grade. Maybe my memory is just hyping it up beyond what actually happened but I swear my teacher let us watch the whole entire tape (a little over an hour, if I remember) which, undoubtedly, made me the hero that day for saving me and my friends from some "education time."

Imagine an entire class of first graders mimicking Michael and the zombies' dance moves during their lunch hour. I would've made a kickass little zombie.

The twisted thing was that Thriller absolutely terrified me. Vincent Price's "rap" always spooked me. To this day it still gives me goosebumps. For years I was terrified of driving by the cemeteries at night. Sitting in the laps of my aunts I'd laugh at the zombies and how the blood oozing out of their mouths looked like chocolate sauce. Never mind that I was terrified of shutting my eyes at bedtime.

Have a great Halloween, everyone...don't be afraid!

Comments