C'mon ride the train

As I was listening to the jukebox of songs on David Usher's site (post-groping *giggles*) I came across a song called "F Train." I love it and wish he had sung it at the concert. It could not be more different compared to Black Black Heart. I realize I just posted lyrics on Tuesday but I need to get these words on record here. For me, it speaks of the reasons why I love taking the train and even walking down 17th or Kensington rather than taking the quickest or most direct route to my destination (aka the kindness of friends and their access to cars). I love people-watching; guessing what that man is thinking as he sits on the bench sipping his coffee. Or you wonder what the couple standing by the door are discussing in such an animated fashion. There's always something interesting going on on the train or on the street. Always.

Last month Blockbuster phoned to let me know that the movie I special ordered, Subway Stories, was finally in for me to pick up. I had been trying to rent that movie for a few years now but nobody carried it. Failing that I tried to find it at A&B or Future Shop but they didn't carry it nor would they order it for me. It wasn't until Daisy was looking for a rare movie herself that we both learned that Blockbuster will special order movies for you to buy.

Actually, Subway Stories isn't a true feature film. Rather, it was an HBO special that Rosie Perez had plugged on a late night talk show, I can't remember which, way back when. Unfortunately, I don't get HBO so I never got to see it but when I heard it was out on video I went crazy trying to find it. It's an anthology of 10 short "stories" chosen from submissions New York City commuters handed in about their most interesting experiences on the subway.

"Love on the A Train" was pretty crazy. I'm sure crazier things have happened, though.

For something that wasn't being put on the big screen it had quite a few stars: KRS-One, Denis Leary, Christine Lahti, Rosie Perez, Jerry Stiller, Bonnie Hunt (her story was tragically funny), Mekhi Phifer, and Anne Heche are the ones I can remember off the top of my head.

If by some stroke of luck you come across this gem at your local video store give it a peep. It's not an earth-shattering piece of work but it is definitely entertaining...especially for those who are not familiar with public transit. :)

Comments