2 snaps and a rewind

Well, despite all the social madness that was the holiday season I caught up on a lot of the movies I hadn't seen yet. Or at least I sort of caught up on my movies. It's really hard to hear what the characters are saying when you're surrounded by 30+ relatives and friends, half of which had already seen the movie so couldn't really care if they spoiled it for you or not, and the other half who couldn't care less about the movie going on. Luckily, though it was a waste of precious time, I got to watch some of the movies a second time through in the privacy of my own home with little to no interruptions.

I finally watched Bad Boys II. And thank goodness I did! I had been itching to see this movie since I found out they were filming it. I loved the first one. I very much love the second one, too. Will Smith and Martin Lawrence crack me up. Woo-sahhhhhh.

I also saw Memento after listening to Mijo and others rave about it for years. I dug it. Unfortunately, that was one of the movies where I was surrounded by natterers so I couldn't fully understand the ending. Was Sammy Jankis a figment of his imagination? Was his wife actually the diabetic? Did Natalie exploit Lenny's condition to have him do all the dirty work for her? Was Teddy really a cop/James G.? I really need to see it again.

Watched S.W.A.T.. A mindless action flick, but that's not necessarily a bad thing in my world. Can't understand why women think Colin Farrell's so swoon-worthy. But Sam L...he's one of my favorite actors. He didn't really get to shine much as Hondo but he was a good addition to the film anyway.

And now I've seen X2 when I haven't even seen X-Men yet, though I've been told the sequel is loads better than the first so I'm not missing much. It's pretty good but I had to bother my brother with questions every now and then 'cuz I don't follow the comic book characters.

Also caught up on Die Another Day. Gotta love the Bond films (which reminds me, congratulations to Uncle Kool Keith. Having nieces and nephews kicks ass!) I miss the good old days when Jaws was a scary mofo. I think Bond is having it a little too easy these days. Either that or he's getting soft...those Koreans really beat him bad. A while ago I heard a rumor that they were going to give Halle Berry's character Jinx her own spin-off movies. I guess I could see it happening, but it's not like her character was spectacular or anything.

Less Than Zero. There's just something about 80's movies that makes them irresistible, no matter how horrible they are. I haven't read the book yet, though I'm positive it'll be much better than the movie. Several times in the movie Clay wants Blaire to leave Los Angeles with him and each time she says "no no no" and then he asks one last time and she says "yes" and that's the end of the movie??? Plus, I think Robert Downey Jr. could have done a better job of making Julian more tragic. It's a shame, really, 'cuz I think Downey Jr.'s a great actor. As much as I don't like Leonardo DiCaprio, I think his acting in The Basketball Diaries was much better than Downey in Less Than Zero. But then again maybe Robert Downey Jr. hadn't had any personal experiences to enhance his acting in Less Than Zero at that point in time.

Just like I resisted watching Titanic for years and years and years I finally caved and watched Moulin Rouge. And just like Titanic I can't understand what all the hype was about. I really didn't appreciate how they redid the songs like Roxanne and Like A Virgin. Actually, it pissed me off. Like Colin Farrell, I don't understand why ladies find Ewan McGregor so dreamy. I guess it's the accent that does it for these lads.

Another film I got to catch up on was Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl Johnny Depp just rocks every single movie he makes, hands down. I'll always be a fan. I loved how some of the scenes were identical to parts of the Disney ride. The Pirates of the Caribbean ride is easily one of my favorite rides in the Magic Kingdom. Since my brother had seen it already I didn't feel rude blurting out "Hey, that's from the ride!" anytime a scene triggered one of my memories from the ride. Now I'm kind of curious to see if Haunted Mansion parallels some of the scenes from the ride as well. Not sure if I'd recognize those as readily as the Pirates since I can't recall too many specifics from the ride. Except for the floating candelabras and dancing ghosts and those mirrors you move past where the ghosts are sitting in the buggy with you. If they don't have the dancing ghosts in the movie then something is seriously wrong with the film.

Think they'll ever make a movie of "It's A Small World?"

I think the hidden gem of my entire movie marathon this season was The Debut. Well, maybe it wasn't a gem, but given my heritage (Yes, xtx, I'm a Filipina. Kudos to you 'cuz I get mistaken for a lot of different cultures often!) it was definitely a movie I enjoyed just 'cuz I could relate to it. But I'll save that for my next post 'cuz I've got lots to share about that one.

Comments