He never saw it coming

We threw a surprise birthday dinner for Weird Kid at Home Food Inn Sunday night. He never expected it; we totally got him.

It also helped that him and his friends had a birthday to-do on Friday night. Oi, Friday...luckily I came home before him 'cuz I was the one to help his drunken ass when he got home (his friend that was staying over had to go drop off his girlfriend first.) This is becoming an annual tradition, or so it appears. I had to help him last year, too. But last year pales in comparison to his inebriated state this year.

He has no idea how he got to the basement or anything that happened after that.

  • I told him to get back upstairs where our mom had set up the futons for him and his friend to crash on. He says "There's no way I can get up there, Le." (I have no idea how they got him downstairs without him breaking his neck.)
  • I tried to get him to take off his jacket at least...but he kept bending his elbow and making a fist so I couldn't get it off. When I told him to change by himself he replies "I'm trying, Le, I'm trying." When really he's just sitting there, or slumped over, motionless.
  • Same thing when you try to get him to drink the glass(es) of water I brought down for him. "I'm trying." Not moving at all.
  • At one point he said "Leave me alone, Dan." And when I asked him who Dan was he waves a pointed finger in my general direction. "You." In reality, he doesn't have any friends named Dan...maybe he feels he needs one.
  • (I don't want to embarass the kid, but this stuffs is too priceless for me not to record for my future recollection.) He asked me to hide the PS2 controllers. Why? 'Cuz he was going to kick his friends' asses at NBA Live. So if he was going to play PS2 why did he want me to hide the controllers? "No, I told you NOT to hide the controllers!" He absolutely earned his Weird Kid label with that one.
  • A couple of times he kicked over the glass of water. "Alright, I'm putting a towel over the puddles you made, ok?" "Ok, I'll make puddles to go over the puddles."
  • In a final attempt to get him to "snap out of it" and at least change out of his manky clothes before his friend came back I turned on the TV. In return I got chastised. "That's so rude."

I love my baby brother.

Luckily for him I had already come home from Bizkette's place where I had worked on the photo montage for his surprise party. (It turned out better than I had expected, considering my lack of artistic skills.) I don't know what would have happened if I hadn't been there.

But next year I'm leaving it up to his girlfriend (assuming they're still together) to take care of this guy. Haha!

Anyway, yes, surprise dinner Sunday night. Poor guy was exhausted as he had worked at 5:30 that morning followed by the Phenoms game vs NE Express (which we unfortunately got slaughtered in...luckily it's a series of 3.) After that we made him go over to Spydermonkey's house to chill. Later he admitted he thought this was a bit cruel since all he wanted to do was sleep.

And wouldn't you know, everyone showed up on time to the restaurant. It's as if there was no such thing as "Filipino time." (that is, showing up half an hour to an hour later than you were supposed to.) I was impressed. Everybody was present and accounted for by the time Spydermonkey brought a blindfolded Weird Kid to the restaurant.

Hooray!

So he got to celebrate his birthday twice. Once with alcohol and his friends, and another time with great food, his family, and again his friends. It was a terrific weekend. Especially since we also went out for Korean food on Saturday night. Saturday was my mom's birthday. Can you imagine being in labor during your birthday? There are quite a few of them in my family. So much so that I almost expect one of my children to be born March 27th.

Comments