Surprise!

Have you ever had to perpetuate a misunderstanding/charade 'cuz it'd be more embarassing if you corrected the situation than if you just let it be?

This nice lady in the ladies wear department of my store...we've been pretty good colleagues for a while now. She's given me a ride home, we have nice little chit-chats about this and that.

But she thought my name was Amy.

Even when she's seen me with my name badge on and everything, I'm still Amy.

Which I guess makes sense. You know I'm Amy so why would you bother looking at my badge?

Anyway, first little while I meant to correct her (silly mistake, tee hee!) as soon as I had the opportunity. But there'd be long gaps where our shifts wouldn't coincide and such. So Amy I remained. And now it's been 2 years or so.

Everything got cleared today. Oi, embarassing.

She goes over the PA system: "Would Leah please call blah blah blah? Leah call blah blah blah?"

So I dial number blah blah blah...not thinking that I was calling Ladies Wear and that the woman over the PA sounded a lot like her. I figured there was some lazy customer who said they dealt with me before and now there was some issue that they were trying to fix at Ladies Wear. I hate when customers do that. Don't expect me to know the unadvertised discounts going on upstairs in Mens Wear when you bring all those clothes down to me and the sale price doesn't come up on the screen.

Anyway, so yeah, I figured a customer was seeking me out in their department for some inexplicable reason.

"Hello, Ladies Wear."

"Hi, you were paging Leah?" *recognizing the voice on the other end*

"Yup."

"Ummm, that's me."

"No, it's not. You're Amy."

*silence* "Well, yes, to you I'm Amy. But actually I go by Leah."

*more silence* "Are you serious?"

*sheepish* "Yeah, I meant to tell you a long time ago. It's just been such a long time it was too embarassing to fix it."

"Oh....well, actually, I was paging Leah from my department. But she's not Filipino, she's white." (Unsure why she had to distinguish the two Leahs that way, but whatever works.)

"Ok. Hey, I'm really sorry."

"Don't worry about it."

So there we go. Her and I are good. Now I just have to work on the Human Resources lady who keeps pronouncing my name "Lee." I figure by the time I leave them for good they'll all know my name. :)

Comments