"You got a problem, ese?"

Bizkette got me started on those little Homies you see in the little toy vending machines and such. She started it as a gag but every so often she regales me with another Homie to add to my collection. I have 3 of them, but since they come from a vending machine in those plastic bubble containers I don't know their names. Since then I've seen them sold in packages of bundled Homies sets at Spencer Gifts and, of all places, Sport Chek.

It was at Sport Chek that I saw a particular Homie in one of those sets that peaked my curiosity.

There's a Homie named Pinoy.

At first I was like "Nah, that's just a coincidence." I showed it to Posie, and I mean, the toys are so itty-bitty and their skintones are all alike we couldn't tell if it was just another Chicano Homie who just happened to be named Pinoy. ('cuz the website says all the Homies are Chicano) But then I looked it up, and there he was.

"Pinoy is a Filipino. He is really into hip-hop and urban sportswear. He stays dressed in the latest urban designer wear. Pinoy drives a Honda "Rice-burner", with the most incredible sound system. Whenever he drives by peoples windows explode. Pinoy is stone deaf as a result of this. Pinoys family is rich, so they live in a huge pad up in the hills. Whenever his parents leave town, he throws a party, and the Homies thrash the house. Pinoy hooks up the Homies with chipped cell-phones, and cable and satellite black boxes, as a side business. He needs to make money to pay for all the cigarettes he smokes, and for all the expensive clothes he sports."

Why does he have to drive a Honda, huh? And why does it have to have a loud sound system?

Don't mind me; I know these little toys are based on stereotypes. But I can't stand the over-proliferation of Honda-driving and souped up cars blah blah.

Oh well, it's not just Pinoy. Apparently, Japon and Rastaman hang out in the Homies' neighborhood, too.

Comments