Hot hot hot

Ahh, Carnaval!

We barely got in. Who knew there would be so much interest considering the little publicity they had received? Mind you, you could also blame it on the holding capacity of the auditorium they chose at the Chinese Cultural Center. Well, now they know.

Doors opened at 8 and we got there at 8:08 pm only to find out the event was sold out! I take full responsibility for us being late (I had a last minute shopping session when I realized I would boil to death in the outfit I had chosen.) Luckily, we stood around for a little bit planning out our next move because a gentleman approached us and asked if we needed tickets. 2 of his friends canceled on him so he was offering it to us at the advanced price he paid for them.

Only problem was there were 3 of us girls needing to get in.

And you know how all of a sudden you get all obsessed with something you're being denied? (Or someone you're being denied, whatever.)

We ended up trying to squeeze another ticket out of the admissions people. Luckily, they called someone who had put tickets on hold and one openly admitted he wasn't going to show up. We were in!

My opinion on Calgary's first ever Carnaval? It had a great vibe, very lively...but I think it could have been so much better. Nice thing is, they can do nothing but improve for next year.

If I could make a suggestion: it would have been really nice to see some of those elaborate costumes they use during the parades in Rio. All we saw last night were random revelers who somewhat got into the spirit by dressing in a costume, whether that be Elvis, a priest, or a French maid.

But there were two Capoeira demonstrations that night. Capoeira's so hot. I love it. I wish I could learn how to do it, but I don't have a lithe body like the girls in the demo.

The band was pretty good. I couldn't understand a word they were singing, but it's alllllll good!

They could also do with more Brazilian foods. I only saw a few items and then there were random things like butter tarts for sale. I suppose we should be glad we had nibbled on a little something before heading out.

I tried a Cachaca Ice. It came in a bottle. I honestly don't know what it is. A Brazilian version of Smirnoff Ice? *shrugs*

And I still don't know how to samba. Peru-girl tried to teach me on the dancefloor but I didn't want to make a fool of myself. We'll work on it while we're at work or something. She DID say, however, that I'm "a great dancer!" and although I always love hearing that, it means a lot coming from someone who dances as wonderfully as she does. Some of the other ladies there were amazing! Whipping their long hair all around, legs shimmying with lightning speed...I was in awe. Did some line dancing (yeah, getting to gaze at the hot asses of some of those Capoeira guys didn't hurt the cause, either) and that was pretty fun. I love how line dancing just gets everyone involved.

It's pretty safe to say us girls enjoyed ourselves there. It's a shame A-girl couldn't join us. When she had called we told her not to bother since we were already having difficulties getting tickets. The plan was to call her if we moved the fun on elsewhere.

It was already midnight so we didn't call her. I hope she understands.

Buuuuut, I finally got to SoHo! Peru-girl has been trying to get me there forever! Not that she'd have to twist my arm or anything :) but something or other always came up.

So many latino hotties. Bad bad baaaaaad news for me. What made it easier for me to deal was their heights. There were very few that were tall enough for my liking. Not that I'm the type of girl who hunts down guys at a bar.

I am so in love with SoHo now...you have no idea. It was like a mini-vacation. It didn't feel like Calgary at all. I felt like I was in Miami or something! It was hot, it was sticky, it was full of beautiful people, Spanish music everywhere! Ok, so I wasn't a big fan of the heat. (You all know how whiny I get when it's hot.) I can't even imagine what that place would be like in the summertime. Unbearable, I bet!

Daisy looked disgusted/mortified as one girl's sweaty back came in contact with her bare arm. She discreetly wiped it off on the shirt of a guy dancing nearby. *giggles*

And a girl we knew from high school, one of Daisy's friends, was there. She was having a blast as well! See, everybody can have a good time!

And the biggest surprise of all was when Daisy stood on the balcony right next to this guy she had a crush on in junior high. The story was that he moved to Bolivia before high school and she never heard about him again since. Surprise of all surprises he just moved back to Calgary this year. If that's not fate I don't know what is. Noone would ever think Daisy would be at SoHo (not that she doesn't belong, no no, you just wouldn't consider it her style of music) and the first time ever that she's there and she makes a major discovery/connection like that! It's a crazy world out there, folks.

I avoided catastrophe. Given Mr. Guy's background I was worried I might bump into him at the Carnaval. Then I became even more concerned when we went to SoHo (he's claimed to go there every once in a while). No Mr. Guy sightings at all. I don't know why I'm so worried, though. I wouldn't hide. No way would I approach him but I wouldn't avoid him, either. I have done nothing wrong. HE was the asshole.

But then again, I don't know what I can and can't believe about him based on his words. So maybe he doesn't go to SoHo at all but just wanted to sound cool. Although, I did see an ad for his sister's spa in the ladies bathroom...if she's really his sister. Hmph, even if he does go there, I'm not staying away. I've got a love affair with SoHo going on. You bet I'm going back.

And when I do, I'll have some new moves going on thanks to Peru-girl.

Comments