Valentine's post-mortem

I know I've already said this, but I've always loved Valentine's Day.

I could never understand why people hate it so much. Even people I know who are coupled grumble about it.

Yes, I realize it's a commercial holiday. I never said it was the flowers and the candy and the nice dinners that I love...'cuz then I'd be bitter, too, since I don't get that kind of stuffs.

It's the atmosphere I'm in love with. Valentine's Day should last all year long, right there with Christmas.

It's all about love.

This year I spent Valentine's Day with my single pals. We saw The Republic of Love. Or rather, us single girls saw it. Civic didn't join us till after the movie. Daisy loved it, but I thought it was poorly done. I've never read the book, but I'm willing to bet it is 100x better than the movie we witnessed.

For example, if some guy said "what I'd really like right now is to put my arms around you, just for a moment" I'd think he was a freak. The line looks/sounds romantic, but in the context it was used in the movie and the way he said it was all wrong. Cold. Sterile. Awkward. The artsy-fartsy would argue that it was meant to look like that to portray the surrealness (her words, not mine) of the situation...but I just blame poor acting. I never felt that they were in love. I think they paired together out of a lack of anything better in sight.

Anyway, then Civic joined us at Higher Ground for some coffee. Since I hadn't had dinner yet I had a falafel. It wasn't the best falafel I've ever had, but it did the trick and satisfied my craving.

But Higher Ground wasn't the end of single's night out, oh no! We ended up at the Wildwood afterwards. A somewhat jazzy blues band was playing there that night. I didn't think they were too bad.

So much for all of my friends' arguments that we wouldn't be able to go anywhere without seeing lovey-dovey couples. I'm not sure why they're so worried about that anyway. Couples are everywhere, everyday. It doesn't faze me. They don't make me sad or depressed.

If anything it makes me sad to know that these innocent couples are making others sad. They did nothing wrong.

Anyway, I hope my friends had as good a time as I did. We still stayed out pretty late which just added to my fatigue, but I'll always be there for those I care about.

And for those who are with me about loving Valentine's Day, help me make the feeling last, would you? The world could use more of it.

Comments