krispy kreme goodness

Yeah, so today was Krispy Kreme Day.

That is to say, today marked the grand opening of Calgary's very first Krispy Kreme establishment.

Hooooooly, what a zoo. Not that I wasn't guilty of adding to the madness. I wasn't that insane, though. I mean, we didn't go over there at 6 a.m. when they opened. I think I would have died.

We got there at the decent hour of 10 a.m. Yes, we made it a group excursion...me, Weird Kid, and 3 of Weird Kid's pals. People were all crazed...you would think we were in line for some Disneyland ride. It took an hour of us winding through the twisting queue before we got into the door. But not before we got our free warm sample of Krispy Kreme goodness. Mmmmmm. Oooh, and a paper hat! A hat which I promptly slapped on my head with great enthusiasm.

Of course we drove down there (Hello, NE!) But thankfully we weren't dumb enough to try to go through drive-thru. Besides, how are you supposed to get a free sample when you're stuck in your car? Anyway, drive-thru was so ridiculous they had 5 rows of idling cars in the parking lot that were lined up in waiting for a spot in the drive-thru lineup. 5 rows! As a reference we tracked the progress of one yellow car that was idling while we were in line. By the time we had stepped into Krispy Kreme he was just getting a spot in the end of the drive-thru line. Sucks to be him.

I wonder how long this madness is going to last? I hear when Vancouver first got a Krispy Kreme they were all chaotic for the first COUPLE of weeks!

The girls ooh'd and ahh'd over the donut production line. I could relate, but it wasn't a big surprise to me anymore. My main objective was to get some strawberry creamcheese donuts. Alas, they weren't making them. But they had NY cheesecake! I must say, that is one of my new favorites. I also got a dozen Chocolate cream-filled and a dozen hot glazed. My brother added to the madness by also getting 3 dozen donuts. (I know I know, we're bizarre.) Thankfully, a dozen of mine went to my darling Lana and Posie and tonight I shared another dozen with Bizkette and Daisy. Weird Kid naturally gave his girlfriend a dozen for her and her family *so proud of my sweet little brother* and somehow he inhaled a dozen sometime between when I left him on campus and when he actually came home with his boxes. So now there are only 2 dozen donuts here at our house, but it's still way too much.

But now that I've scouted out the website, someday (but not someday too soon) I'll have to try the strawberry shortcake and dulce de leche donuts. They sound mighty good.

Comments