Cinco de mayo

I didn't get to join in any cinco de mayo festivities. Le sigh.

Happy birthday to my cousin in T.O.

Lets talk about the "fairer sex" business for a minute 'cuz I just remembered a convo I had with Weird Kid's girlfriend a couple of weeks back.

Have you seen or heard of that new line of maxi pads -- I think it's by Kotex -- that they're claiming is completely silent?

Weird Kid's girl and I watched that commercial and we didn't really see what the big deal is all about. But I suppose there are those who are really bashful about that sort of thing.

I remember in junior high a friend of mine was self-conscious about the noisy rustling made by the maxi wrapper. She only felt comfortable when the ladies' washroom was empty.

Anyway, back to my question: what's so embarassing about it? Everyone in that bathroom can sympathize with your situation at some point or another during the month. Unless, I guess, you are pregnant or keeping it at bay with the pill blah blah. So they hear what you're up to in there; big deal! What are they going to do? Yell out "someone in there's got the reds right now!" as they walk out the door?

Being mortified about going number 2 in there....THAT I can understand. But changing your "supplies?" It's a friggin' natural part of your pre-menopausal life. Who cares? You're not stinking up anyone else's airspace or dirtying up the stall. Why the big fuss?

Perhaps his girlfriend and I are in the minority on this one. Perhaps this "silent" maxi pad is the saving grace women all over the world (or at least North America) have been praying and waiting for. I don't know. Should I be ashamed that the other ladies in the bathroom know that I've got my period at that time? I can't understand why that would be the case.

Comments