Let it pass

A while back I wrote out a pro and con list about a job posting which I was considering: a travel counselling position for the Canadian armed forces stationed in Kabul, Afghanistan.

For a girl who has yet to move out of her family's home, that would be a huge ballsy move...and I definitely wasn't feeling it.

But yet it intrigued me. So I was torn. Could I really handle being away from all my loved ones for so long? (There really wasn't any specified duration in Kabul in the posting...what if I was there for years? What about Christmas? New Years?) Never mind that, the thought of all those guns and violent stuffs being all around me scared the crap out of me.

So the deadline for application was today (the 25th) and needless to say I didn't apply. Really, the whole time I was "contemplating" applying I knew very well that I wouldn't have the nerve to do so. And with all the news of people getting beheaded and such I just freaked out all the more. Sure it was going on in another country, but still...this is all related. And it was painfully clear that they didn't care that you were just an innocent civilian and that it didn't matter which country you came from. Us Canadians may be peacemakers, but it's not like they'd probably care. I'll keep my head, thanks. Don't get me wrong, I appreciate those who are there...I just couldn't do it myself.

Comments