Ba doing doing doing

A pretty fun weekend if I do say so myself.

As any Bridget Jones fan will tell you, Friday the Edge of Reason movie finally came out. It was a bit disappointing to note that there weren't very many theatres that invested showtimes for Bridget (there are only 4 theatres showing it in Calgary) so we ended up watching it at Eau Claire since it was showing an hour earlier than at Paramount Chinook and we still had plans for after the movie.

But before Bridget Daisy and I finally got our hands on cupcakes. A very New York Sex and the City type activity. We've been trying to get there several times already but they've always either been closed or sold out for the day. It was well worth the wait, when we got there -- a full hour and a half before they were closing -- the only cupcakes they had left were "Nutty Over Chocolate" (chocolate cupcakes with peanut butter frosting and chocolate shavings) but I was definitely not complaining. It was delicious. The 2.50 price (for a cupcake!) probably means that I won't be going there for cupcakes all too often, but I'm glad I finally tasted what all the hype was about.

Need I tell you that Bridget Jones was terrific. When Mark asked Daniel to "please step outside" I just about screamed with joy. Their ridiculous fight scenes have always been a favorite of mine and this one did not disappoint. I was laughing so hard I had tears in my eyes.

It was definitely a girls night out sort of evening from Sex and the City to Bridget Jones and back to SATC type outings. After the movie we went to Mortal Coil for some martinis. Unfortunately, Flag girl was the only one who joined us for the evening. Some friends opted to go to the later show at Chinook, others didn't have enough cash flow to enjoy the evening (though I would've gladly contributed to such a worthy cause), and others were guys who couldn't bear to watch Bridget Jones. Civic was going to meet us at Mortal Coil but when I called him after the movie his cell phone was off and I thought it best not to try calling him at his place so late at night.

While at Mortal Coil we joined up with some of Flag Girl's friends. Very artsy-fartsy indie crowd. I could have sworn they were patronizing us for watching Bridget Jones. However, I did have a great conversation with one of the girls, we'll call her Bean. Bean and I spent a good part of the night talking about jobs concerning a lot of human interaction (sales/retail vs. lounge/bar work). She highly recommended that I try my hand at working in a lounge for all the human experience that makes such jobs worthwhile. It's always sounded terrific, I mean there would definitely be different stories each night, but with me not driving and lounges being open till so late it's not the most convenient of jobs for me to have. But still she kept on trying to sway me, telling me to just walk into some of my neighborhood pubs and show them what I have to offer and let them decide for themselves.

And yes, she did word it in some manner like that. It kind of confused me a little since we were talking about how we would never work at a meat market type bar such as Cowboys (not that Cowboys would ever hire me, I'm sure) and then she was subtly suggesting that I go parade myself in front of some local barkeeps to entice a job offer from them. I just shrugged it off 'cuz I assumed that I was just interpreting her words the wrong way.

Then near the end of the evening I was shocked to discover that the guy beside Bean was actually a girl. (Comparing notes with Flag Girl and Daisy later on made me feel better...none of us had any idea he was a she.) But I was tactful, and I'm sure I didn't have a look of utter disbelief on my face when I figured it all out...or at least I hope I didn't.

Even more, Bean had been rubbing the girl's thigh all night so I had assumed they were dating. Well, I'm sure they're dating but I figured, you know, that she was Bean's boyfriend.

And THEN (oh, it gets better) as we were all getting ready to leave and were saying our goodbyes Bean says to me "You are the most gorgeous person in here." To me! She says this to me! In front of her girlfriend! I was just hit on by a lesbian (possibly bisexual, who knows) with her life partner right there! If you're going to take a dig at me and point out that she would also find her girlfriend attractive, putting us in the same boat, well I'm just not going to humor your insult 'cuz there is no way I could ever be mistaken for a guy. Not a chance.

But it turned out to be a true highlight of my evening. For some reason getting hit on by the same sex was a gazillion times more beneficial to my ego than getting hit on by a member of the opposite sex. Perhaps it's 'cuz Bean was actually very attractive, making her opinion of me worth more than the lines I get dished by dirty old nasty/Iraqi men. I couldn't stop preening in front of my mirror and admiring myself after I got home. It could've been the martinis talking, too.

Comments