Why don't you get on your knees and smile like a doughnut?


I stole that from Civic's photoalbum of his trip to Hong Kong. When I heard that stupid pick-up line quoted above (no, noone used it on me, haha) this picture was the first thing I thought of. Hehe.

My mom's over in the Philippines right now. Unfortunately, it's not exactly a pleasure trip as my uncle (the youngest in their family) has been diagnosed, is being treated for, and is battling leukemia. I miss my mom already and I wish my uncle all the best and a speedy recovery.

On Wednesday, Latina, her fiance, and I went to Jonas' Restaurant for dinner. From the looks of it, I'd say it's the only Hungarian restaurant we have here in Calgary. I had the breaded catfish with homemade potatoes followed by a crepe with chocolate sauce and crushed nuts for dessert. It was a kitschy little restaurant, very friendly atmosphere. We can't wait to go back. Plus, it was great having her fiance there with us. It's always nice to have someone who knows what everything is. And as a bonus, I found Gruman's Deli nearby. I've read about them! They sell knishes! This whole knish mystery may end soon! I would say I'll go on an adventure there sometime this week (work in retail=barely any shifts come January) but unfortunately forecasts predict it'll be unbelievably cold midweek. Colder than I can remember in all the years I've been alive. Of course, I could have just blocked the cold out of my memory.

Friday, I finally saw Meet the Fockers. Very cute. It wasn't as chaotic as the first one, in my opinion, but still had its golden moments.

Saturday we celebrated Civic's birthday, albeit a day late. Went out for sushi at Sushi Kawa followed by martinis at, where else, Mortal Coil. Sushi Kawa is Civic's favorite place for sushi in the city since it appears to be one of the only sushi establishments actually owned and operated by Japanese people.

At Mortal Coil we were asked to switch tables halfway through our stay. It's never a big deal but places are usually kind enough to compensate your troubles with a free dessert (Luciano's) or the like. Mortal Coil was the same. All of a sudden there was delectable-looking shot glass in front of each of us, on the house. Our server said it was some sort of chocolate chip-flavored concoction. All I can say was that it was delicioso.

Since we usually head out late at night and not at dinnertime we were at a loss for what to do with ourselves around 10. The three of us then headed to my house were they tried out my sister's Taiko Drum Master PS2 game (trust me, it's addictive) and we watched Dodgeball. (I guess it was a Ben Stiller sort of weekend.) A fuddy-duddy sort of way to end the evening...but Civic's not a hardcore party animal and it was nice just having the downtime to converse and have fun.

And alas, my Phenoms were beat by the dirty Club Pilipino again. Luckily, this loss had no affect on our standings for the season. Such poor sports, you could see Club Pilipino's fans leaving the stands when word got out that, win or lose, they wouldn't be improving their rank to get above ours. Haha. So next week starts the semi-finals. I'll be posting the schedule on the left once I get ahold of it.

Comments