Paaaaartay

I've been so weak on the upkeep here I don't even know what to talk about most days now.

In my absence I've been getting inane comments on ancient posts. Completely irrelevant comments. I thought I knew who was writing them until I tracked the IP addresses down. If I've got stupid haters on here now does that mean I've made it into the big time? Doubt it.

This past weekend was insanely exhausting, but oh so worth it in entertainment value. Friday night we caught Madagascar which I love. What's better than Ali G as a ring-tailed lemur singing Reel 2 Real? Nothing.

I had the blessing of babysitting duty for my goddaughter Lana on Saturday morning and since Weird Kid wasn't working I felt we had enough "adult supervision" to warrant taking her to the Children's Festival downtown. She got her face-painted, built some wondrous contraptions out of straws and connectors, a paper bag mask, dressed in costume and marched in a parade around the plaza, Baby Sis even serenaded her on karaoke. A grand time was had by all at the "kids party" (not sure if she understands the concept of a festival so everything was a party this weekend.)

Once back home everything became chaotic. Baby Sis had to get cleaned up and dressed for her Graduation Banquet. As always, Posie was the designated hair and makeup artist. Lana passed out on our futon. The family was divided into those attending Baby Sis' banquet (mom and dad) and those who were headed to the latest baby christening (Weird Kid was going to be godfather yet again, this time to Tiny China) In the end Weird Kid and grandma headed off first and I finished getting dressed while Posie finished up on Baby Sis. A few pictures taken and then all of us were off to our own respective engagements. I headed to the christening with Posie and Lana.

Luckily, and predictably, the christening started late so we hadn't missed anything. After that was the reception at Central Grand. It was pretty interesting, the fare was Chinese food that we're not usually used to. I mean, no ginger beef or salt and pepper squid in sight. No won ton soup. We have Tiny China's father to thank for the refreshing change. Tiny China's daddy is Chinese and lived in the Philippines. It's pretty cool.

The night was still young so we headed to Bubblemania Cafe for some bubble tea, though with little Lana in tow we couldn't sit down on the premises so we ordered from the foyer. Apparently no minors are allowed past 9 since they allow smoking at that time. I tried a "Romantic Calgary" which was a blend of almond, coconut, and Horlicks. It was soooo good.

Posie and Lana were staying the night (slumber party!) so we headed home and played Scrabble with Baby Sis, watching Rex Navarrete's DVD while drinking Vanilla Stoli and Coke. It was a good thing they were staying over, too, since the next morning we were off to a sluggish start.

Sunday we went to the Lilac Festival ("flower party" for Lana). All throughout the busride there, of course we knew better than to drive down there, Lana was singing "flower flower party, flower flower party." It's too bad that there are rarely any lilacs in view at the festival.

Whoa, the festival was packed. We went during the final 3 and half hours of the festival and in the end we didn't even catch all the exhibits. By sheer luck we ran into Civic and his brother. They had started early so they were leaving as we were just beginning. Daisy eventually caught up with us. Latina and her man shied away from the event. The Redhead and I never found each other. Weird Kid and his girlfriend's soccer practice was delayed so they couldn't make it out.

Posie and I tried Italian Donuts from Mercato. Those were amazing.

Poor luck had Daisy running into Ssoberr Girl several times at the festival. Oh well, it can't all be sunshine and roses.

And speaking of sunshine, I'm absolutely toasted as a result of all the sun we had this weekend. Again, with the getting darker, ugh.

After the lilac festival was church and after church we finally went our respective ways. A Lana-filled weekend, though so good, is very tiring. I can't imagine how Posie does it.

But for my family the events had not come to an end just yet. Baby Sis' graduation commencement was yesterday so there was the graduation mass (limited space so mercifully for me my parents were the only ones who went) then a swift pick-up of the remaining family members then off for some lunch in between engagements then the actual commencement. It was pretty nifty seeing Baby Sis graduate at the Jack Simpson. This way all of us graduated from the same place. Me for my university convocation, Weird Kid will be convocating next year, and this year Baby Sis had her high school grad there.

And then it was off to Peter's Drive-In for some dinner and banana splits. Once we got home we were so exhausted that I took a nap at 7 in the evening. But Baby Sis insisted on playing a round of Scrabble before the night was over, so Scrabble it was. Poker and Scrabble have been the games of choice lately.

I still haven't fully recovered, I don't think. Unluckily for me I have to work tonight. Ah well. I kind of miss my coworkers.

Comments