I always thought I was more of a "Samantha"

Or, I wish I were. But apart from a lot of one-date things (not flings, haven't felt interested enough to do anything) that's where my Samantha-ness ends. I guess I'm more of a Carrie. Although I love her I'm just not into her fashion style, but we do have guys in common. And it's been long enough that I think I'm safe with writing this stuff in here.

I had a Russian, and funnily enough his name was identical to Carrie's Russian except for one syllable. We're talking first name and last name here. My Russian was older as was hers but mine was far from being an artist. A quantum physics professor here at the university. Can you imagine me with a quantum physics prof? Actually, all stereotypes aside, he was a really sweet guy. Due to our age difference we were in two different stages in our lives and I really didn't see it going anywhere. I tried to help him find someone else so hopefully that worked out for him.

I had an Aidan. Like Carrie's Aidan mine built furniture and was incredibly adoring and doting. So much so that it was kind of overwhelming. We went out infrequently but when we did...I don't know...it was awe-inducing for me. I mean, I've never dated a guy like him who was so content just being there in the moment with me. We'd go watch a movie, or we'd just even go for a walk and he'll all of a sudden just turn to me and watch me watching the movie or just plain look at me. He was like the hero out of some happily-ever-after romance novel. I freaked out internally the way Carrie did, disbelieving. Guys like Aidan simply do not exist on this earth. I didn't cheat, I would never cheat, but I just stepped back and let it fade away. And, like Carrie, I do miss him and part of me wants to get back together but it's likely a really bad idea. But whoever gets him, they'll be experiencing that fairy tale kind of feeling.

And Mr. Big. While I'm more of an Aidan fan than a Mr. Big I do understand the whole Mr. Big thing. Like my best friend said; "he's the standard." I met my Mr. Big over 15 years ago now. Never dated him (yet) but I know he's what I've always wanted. And oddly, as we all get older, he's becoming more of what I want without even really trying. Some sort of destiny thing? Who knows. But the standards just keep getting higher and higher 'cuz of him.

Comments