Group hug

When I was a young girl I typed out this huge long list, with quirky fonts for each point, of 100 reasons why Posie was my best friend and I slipped it in with her Christmas present. She then returned the favor, and topped it, with 101 reasons why I was her best friend when my birthday came around. Sure it was cheesy but hey, even today thinking about those lists always makes me smile.

Nowadays, with work and just plain old growing up, there isn't as much time to get together. There are a lot of days in between when we get to talk or see each other. Deep down I still see her as one of my best friends but from an outsider's point of view her and I must not appear very close to one another. I see Daisy and the Usual Suspects more often than I see Posie, and she goes out with A-Girl more often than her and I get together. Maybe you could say we're no longer a major force in one another's lives but I think we've just settled into the comforting notion that we'll always be right there should we need each other.

I call it comforting, others would find it alarming. I've seen others who get all concerned when their friendships start shifting, changing into something more casual. I never once considered that Posie and I were growing apart. She's there, I know how to get a hold of her and she knows the same can be said for me. Like the song she performed at my debut:

"You just call out my name and you know wherever I am
I'll come running to see you again
Winter, Spring, Summer, or Fall all you have to do is call
And I'll be there. You've got a friend."

Comments