My life as a sitcom

What a week.

Last Tuesday, Daisy and I decided to try an Indo-shaman-funk dance class. It was a fusion of Bollywood dance with Jazz. Put that together with my new nose piercing and I felt like I was on audition for Bollywood Idol.

Friday night after work I was waiting for the bus when this guy started chatting with me. He asked for my number and he seemed harmless so I gave it to him without much thought. Little did I know.

So Saturday came around and with it was the night of the Monster Ball. He called earlier in the day (3 times! But only leaving a voicemail once...caller ID) asking if I'd like to join him for dinner but I had already bought my tickets with my friends and I wasn't going to miss a good party so I left him a polite message declining the offer. I then realized I was dealing with a new version of mr guy on my hands. Saturday night was crazy, but I'll save that for another time.

Sunday, during my brother's basketball game he again called 3 times and left one voicemail. This time he was inviting me out to the Hitmen game that night. Being that it's Sunday I called him back and told him I had Church that night. Now, I have to point out that when he first introduced himself and I heard his last name I assumed he was Jewish. Daisy came to the same assumption. APPARENTLY WE WERE WRONG. So mr guy ver. 2.0 (mg2.0) goes on to tell me that he's a Catholic, too, and would like to renew his faith. He asked if he could come to my Church and meet me there. What was I supposed to do? I can't exactly lie about the mass time and location...I'm sure the Church wouldn't be too impressed if they knew I was turning people away from the Church. So I blubbered out the details and hoped that he would decide against coming. I had met him all the way across town. If he doesn't drive (an assumption since I met him on the bus) then surely the commute would be too long on a Sunday night to warrant attending a mass all the way across the city. Just in case, I treated my family to coffee at Tim Horton's and braced them for the possibility that a strange guy would be coming to Church to come and talk to me and to "renew (his) faith." The family was amused. Oh, the silly situations Leah gets herself into!

APPARENTLY I WAS WRONG AGAIN. Not only was mg2.0 at Church but he was even there before me and my family had arrived. With great enthusiasm he let me know how it was exciting to be back in the Church and how he was baptized into it but didn't really do anything with it for a long time and oh, is that your brother and sister? I introduced them and the rest of my family though my clan didn't even blink an eye. I've never seen my family so rigid in my life. Mercifully they saved me a spot and he had to go sit in the pew behind.

And, oh, it was an hour of him singing wholeheartedly and out of tune. I came back from Communion and he was intently reading the Church bulletin. After mass I found him at the brochure rack gathering all sorts of brochures and pamphlets. Noone I know actually goes and grabs reading material from there! I was further convinced that he was another mr guy. How do I find these boys? I didn't stick around for much conversation since Posie and Lana were there, but I wished him a good night which he returned with a "god bless." Oh geez.

And then it was Monday. No longer 3 calls, only 2, but still a voicemail letting me know that "Church was cool" and could he take me out for dinner Friday after work? The enthusiasm is seriously too much to bear! Why is it that some guys don't put in enough effort and others practically throw themselves into the ring? And it's always the wrong ones? Unfortunately for him, I'm taking a Salsa dance workshop that night so I left him a message today (it's so much easier dealing with his machine) letting him know I've got other plans but, "hey, maybe we could get together another time!" As soon as those words escaped my lips I wanted to throw myself off the overpass. If he had been more nonchalant about getting together, then yeah, I wouldn't have seen anything wrong with getting to know him over a coffee or dinner. But he's just so intense with the whole thing I want to keep clear away!

So, I guess while some guys put in little to no effort, other guys put in too much...why do ladies (or maybe it's just me) shy away from a guy who's actually, sincerely, showing interest and chase after the one who practically never has time for her?

I wish Aidan would show me even half the attention mg2.0 is giving me. Just half, mind you, 'cuz mg2.0 is too enthusiastic for my liking. I can't buy into it. I know I deserve more attention and respect from Aidan so you don't have to lecture me about it. I just wish he'd see that himself 'cuz I don't want to have to ask for it or point it out.

Aside: In case you're wondering why the guy from the bus is like mr guy...1) The fellow met me Friday night and by Saturday morning he's already calling me to try and make plans for that night. Much like how mr guy was with ms guy. And 2) The overeagerness (is that a word) to try to be more of how he thinks I want him to be. mr guy used to watch Sex and the City with me, rave about it, and claimed he liked Boyz II Men just like I did. I didn't think much of it at the time until I noticed he adopted a lot of Bizkette's preferences as well when he got into her. Then when he met ms guy all of a sudden Boyz II Men and other harmony groups like Shai were deemed cheesy and he started treating me like a little girl much like how ms guy used to be all condescending towards me. I like my guys to have a mind of their own, and I don't care if that means their tastes clash with mine so long as we can both respect one another. In fact, it makes things more interesting. So anyone with mr guy traits or tendencies need not apply. It's a huge turn-off.

Comments