Try hard

It's Thursday which means FFWD Weekly comes out in the city. It's a free paper that comes out in the city talking about what's going on around here. Movie listings, restaurant reviews, concert listings, it's all there. There's one particular section in their classifieds that I love called "I Saw You." Much like the TLFs (Three Lines Free) they publish in the U of C Gauntlet (another weekly publication) they're for people just wanting to rant a bit for free. I always imagine that someday I'll see one printed up about me (vain, I know, haha) just like how my friends gave me a birthday TLF way back in the day. Anyway, a couple of months ago I was on the train reading FFWD when I noticed this cutie looking me down and smiling. I wasn't sure what his deal was, but I was flattered and I looked up once in a while and kept catching his eye. Yay me! Haha. Anyway, I didn't do anything about it and neither did he but I figured it wouldn't hurt to write an "I Saw You" for him for the next week's paper. He never responded :( but I don't know if he reads the FFWD anyway. Being cautious I even opened up a new email address for him to reply to and everything. While he never wrote me I did get some guys who wrote back, including the superstar below:

Subject: C-Train

Ok I know this is nuts emailing a girl that I don’t even know, but for some reason I said why not? Sorry I am not the guy that was checking you out on the c-train, but if you were being checked out I am thus sure you are pretty hot.

I liked how you said yummy in that line and it made me laugh. I am new to Calgary and looking to meet a girl that likes to live it up with a guy that is kind and considerate.

Maybe we can xchange pics if you want?



Tty l8tr

(Names omitted to protect the strange)


I was irritated by his whole "if you were being checked out I am thus sure you are pretty hot" schtick. What a line! Not only that, but what an assumption! I googled his email address and, lo and behold, I found a website and pictures of him. Call me shallow but, uh, no thanks. I may not be the best looking girl in the world but I wouldn't consider a guy like him anyday. To put it mildly, he gave me the creepies.

Needless to say I never replied to his email. But he's pretty keen on finding his Ms. Right via "I Saw You." I swear every week he's got a new message for a new girl he saw/stalked at Nellie's, or at Mercato, etc. (I'm thinking he lives around the Mission area. Woe is me, 4th St will never be the same.) Who knows if these girls read the ad and reply...I'm tempted to write another "I Saw You" to warn all these ladies. Clearly he's desperate/not picky and they shouldn't get all swept off their feet by his words. But that wouldn't be fair. Maybe there will be a girl out there who'll give him a chance.

Nevertheless, I think "I Saw You"s are a lot of fun.

Comments