The end of the world

Well, let’s hope that isn’t the case but it seemed like Thursday was a major campaigning day of the religious sort.

On my commute to work this aggressive, evangelist-style lady (and a Filipina, to boot) started some sort of sermon with the young couple across the aisle from her. The young lady in the couple looked bored, fussing with her nails, but the young guy looked amused. I couldn’t quite hear what he was saying to the Jimmy Stewart lady but you could definitely hear her side of the conversation. The whole train car could hear her. Out of curiosity I turned down my iPod so I could hear her better.

According to her, an angel communicated with her by directing her to specific passages in the Bible and revealed to her the “plan of God” which apparently included “burying the Earth.” Apparently her edition of the Bible was the best you could get and all others pale in comparison. She also said that she “hate(d) to tell (us) this but Mormons and Jehovah’s Witnesses are not part of the plan of God.”

As I crossed over the overpass she was at the other end having finished preaching to the young couple. Just as I feared she was preparing to start in on me. I heard “Are you familiar with our God? What Church do you go to?” as I cowered away and stammered that I had to get going. That got me a reaction of “oh my God” (in a have-mercy-on-her-heathenous-soul tone of voice) behind my back as I walked away and boarded the bus which had miraculously showed up at that exact moment. Normally I walk the rest of the way to work ‘cuz I like the downtime, but today was a day where the terrifying vision of her following me for several blocks preaching was too much to bear.

And as luck would have it, as the bus whisked me away to work, two Mormon young men who have been “working the area” for a couple of months were walking down the street. The bus must have been sent by an angel to rescue me! Heehee.

Amusingly enough, the Mormons were headed towards the station where the crazy preachy lady was most likely still standing.

It’s looking like an all-out turfwar in this place!

Comments