Friday, I'm in Love

Well, not really, but Tubby Dog's special this month - the Aunt May - is the best hot dog they've come up with thus far I'd have to say. Let's see, there was potato salad, mustard, scallions, and lots and lots of grated cheese. So. Good.

I update Weird Kid on the Tubby Dog specials so often I swear he thinks I eat there on a regular basis. Contrary to popular belief this was only my 3rd Tubby Dog since they opened last year(?). I've had the A-Bomb (space cheese, bacon bits, potato chips) and the Slaw Dog (cole slaw, chili, I can't remember what else) but Aunt May has been the best by far. Too bad it's only here for a short while.

Yeah, Friday was our typical jaunt around 17th. We started with some tea at Steeps (no Caffe Beano this time!), always good. had Tubby Dog, then we ended up at Tim Hortons where we helped Daisy out with her school marking. It had been so long since I've helped her mark her students' homework. Apparently her curriculum teaches the kids addition horizontally initially and then for bigger multi-digit numbers they convert to the vertical way. I can't remember if we had issues way back then (2nd grade) but these poor kids are so mixed up. I don't even know how they can help the kids grasp the concept before the year is up.

So we made the best of our Friday despite the rain. We're a determined bunch.

Saturday was great, too. Got a bunch of errands done at the mall (shopper's rage was under control) and went with Weird Kid to check out a car he's planning on buying from a friend. Later the Usual Suspects and I got together again and had dinner at the Joyce on 4th and somehow ended up at Bubblemania for some bubble tea.

But not before noticing all the prostitutes on the street close to Don Quixote's. I don't know why that is such a highlight for me...maybe 'cuz seeing prostitutes out in the open is still somewhat a novelty. It's just too bad that they were all around Don Quixote's, I love the food there and I'd been planning on going dancing there sometime. After seeing what I saw, I think I'll stick to lunches/early dinners and dance elsewhere. Although it makes me kind of wonder how the johns can distinguish the difference between a bonafide prostitute and the cougars on the prowl.

Bubblemania was a whole other story. It was packed to the brim with Asians and their "token white friend"s. So Asian that even Civic and I were feeling a bit out of place in there. Fortunately(?) there were no tables available for us so we got our bubble tea to go. Yay, Romantic Calgary! Yummy! Too bad their balls were a little too firm. Haha.

Seeing a reverse Yellow Fever couple - Leah-speak for an Asian guy with a white girl - Civic made the comment that he could never bring a white girl to Bubblemania. It stood to reason, though. If we were feeling outnumbered in there I could only imagine what caucasians (not the token white kind) would feel like in there.

While we waited for our order the beginning beats of Black Eyed Peas' "My Humps" began to play. Or so we thought. It ended up being some Chinese(?) song. Civic pounced on it about a half-second before I did. "It" being the notion that Asian women typically don't have much lady lump-age to speak of. This got Civic all animated in his physical interpretation/miming of the song.

No humps, none in the back or in the front.

So that got us all going, well, that and this Chinese(? I'm one of the worst when it comes to identifying other Asian backgrounds) guy with massive sideburns. Straight out of the 70s, I'd have to say.

Luckily we got our beverages and left before any of us got murdered for mocking the patrons. Awww, Bubblemania, I still love you!

With nowhere to go with our bubble teas we ended up parking on that makeout hill place overlooking downtown. Yeah, all 3 of us. We're close, don'tcha know. More cynical troublemaking, with Civic and Daisy staring down occupants in the cars next to ours and my overwhelming urge to push someone down the hill/cliff. (Not sure how to explain that one, apparently I have a violent side just crying to come out.) But we weren't the only odd ones out on the hill. There was another trio walking around (again, I wanted to push someone for kicks, where do I get these urges?) and one guy all by his lonesome in his minivan.

Great view. Love the view. Made for good bubbletea enjoyment time.

And that's all I've got for Saturday.

Comments