Hot child in the city

From what I've heard it's just hot everywhere you go in the world these days. Even my basement is not as cool and comforting as it usually is. Sooo harsh.

Last weekend my cousin and his wife had a renewal of vows as well as the christening of their son (they got married in the Philippines a while back, and not very many of us were able to travel there to attend). The reception was held at the Sheraton Suites Eau Claire. I always knew it was a nice hotel but I had no idea just how nice. To put it into perspective I don't think I want my wedding reception to be at the Palliser anymore. The service and quality of everything they had at the Sheraton was UNBELIEVABLE. I'm in love with the Sheraton now. And it's a bonus that it's so close to the river I love so much.

I would have to say this cousin is one of my favorites out of those who have married into our family. I think she's so sweet and kind...and it's tough being a woman marrying in (from what I've observed, as opposed to a guy marrying into the family). She looked so beautiful, and my cousin and their little boy looked so dapper. I got all teary, as I'm always apt to do, and for the first time...I swear...I felt a bit lonely and sad. Not in that "oh god I need to be in a relationship!" sort of loneliness, 'cuz I still think that's weak, but more due to the fact that I'd love to bring someone new into the family. It's taking longer than I expected, I always thought I'd be married by now. But I suppose it's all for the best. The only guy I ever bothered introducing to the family was a big talker, and according to Weird Kid his head was too big (physically, and to this day the odd time he runs into this guy he still lets me know that the guy's head is huge, makes me laugh...besides, look what happened to that guy!). After that I was even more determined to screen these guys before even mentioning them to the familia. I did meet one guy who I thought would get along with my family and friends, but he wasn't that into me and so that never even got off the ground. Anyway, long story short, I felt a twinge of loneliness and sadness that I have not been with anyone I could proudly introduce to the familia...and a sort of nervousness as to when that day will ever happen. But yeah, I got over that quickly, though I'm sure it will creep up again the next time the family has a wedding. Luckily, I don't think there's another wedding coming up anytime soon, so I have some time. And who knows, maybe I'll come across someone by then.

The night before I went dress shopping again on a whim (I feel like I never have time to shop anymore!) and destiny handed me another "little black" that looks incredible on me, if I do say so myself. Dare I say it's my new favorite "little black." Like I don't already have a dozen little blacks in my closet. And you would not believe the price even if I told you...though I won't tell you the price in case you think I was being cheap. :) It was worth every penny and MORE. I could not believe my luck. I would have willingly paid 5x what I did for a dress that fit me so well.

Unfortunately, the big family to-do fell on Daisy's birthday. What worked out really well is her and the Usual Suspects, Flag Girl, and Ovo ended their evening at Brewster's in Eau Claire. I felt pretty bad walking away from such an amazing function but I don't regret meeting up with Daisy on her birthday, of course. Sure I was overdressed but it's always nice to be all snazzied up every once in a while.

OH! Not to put a damper on this story but on my way to the hotel (I had to leave earlier than the rest of the family since I was on guestbook duty...but it was nice getting the extra attention from the tourists and other transit-takers on the train) I witnessed a case of police brutality as my train drove by. It was a jarring experience to say the least. Two cops were chasing a young guy past Palomino and once they tackled him onto the ground the one cop kept slapping the guy's head so it would smash into the sidewalk! It was completely unnecessary since the guy was not even putting up a struggle. I was disappointed that this was one of the experiences our city's tourists were getting out of their stay during our Stampede. Oh, and your stereotypical drunken brawl amongst First Nations (AKA Native Americans). Both incidents occured within 2 minutes of one another while we sailed by on the C-Train.

Comments