"I can't fight this feeling anymore..."

A couple of months ago I had the great opportunity to visit Montreal for a weekend and I LOVED it. That makes two massive cities I have visited this year that I have adored. A stark contrast to my lack of heart for Toronto. People predicted, after hearing of how I dislike Toronto (I can't say hate since I have family living there. Hate is too strong of a word.) that I would have a miserable time in New York...even though I've been obsessed with the Big Apple for years. Well, I proved them wrong there. But although I had always wanted to see Montreal as well I was not sure if it would be as cold and uninviting as Toronto only en francais. Good golly I was pleasantly surprised. I have told several friends this but for once I have found a city that could possibly seduce me away from Calgary. And I'd still get to be Canadian, fantastique!

What I especially loved about Montreal was how easy it was to get around. I am a huge fan of great subway/metro systems and New York and Montreal were both marvelous. But Montreal's stations showed a little more care and maintenance. They were practically spotless and smelled immaculate, which was a bonus. I hate to say it but even comparing it to Calgary...I mean Calgary is a poor comparison but to think that Montreal is a bigger city and they are able to keep their trains and stations immaculate whereas here we disrespectfully leave newspapers and litter strewn about our public transit system that clearly has to say something.

Plus, and this could be pure coincidence, but I felt safe walking through their downtown streets at night. Wouldn't you know it, the same weekend I was away Calgary had 2 (or was it 3) homicides. Just "boom, boom, boom." It really made me want to shake my head. Here I thought Calgary's problem was it was getting to big too fast and was thus experiencing the growing pains that all big cities go through. Well if that's the case why was Montreal so pleasant and calm while my hometown was a gnarled, violent mess?! I don't think we can blame my city's problem on "big city issues" anymore. Clearly something else is bringing the dangers into our home.

The news of the past couple of days have made the feeling even more helpless. For those who do not know a young woman was abducted from her workplace by a stranger with a gun. The two of them then stopped a truck on the street and carjacked an old man. The guy then held the old man and young lady hostage for several hours while he sexually assaulted her. Luckily he let them go later that day while he fled on foot.

Then today the news tells us more details of how the man made the girl phone his (suspected) common-law wife and describe what he was doing to her.

It is like something from a sick, twisted movie all that is going on in my "fair" city.

I used to feel strong and independent. I would shrug off my grandma's overhyped concerns over my taking public transit. But when you hear enough of these stories...and on a frequent basis, no less...the unease clearly starts creeping in. On a few occasions I have had a sense of malaise when coworkers would leave for the day and I would be alone for the final hour or two of my shift. If something should happen to me in my office I have zero confidence that anyone outside would be able to help me. Or they would not even know I was in peril.

I still don't have major issues with transit. It still feels safe to me but Montreal was a definite eye-opener on how safe I could/should truly feel taking public transportation. There are still the odd occurrences going on. One night as I took the bus home I overheard on the driver's radio another driver calling in a missing young lady who had walked out of a hospital -- in a hospital gown -- and clearly ready to give birth. I'm not quite sure whatever happened to her but the odd inexplicable scenes like those come around a little too often now.

Tokidoki by Simone Legno

Comments