Baby, you can drive my car.

So because I've been putting it off forever I finally got my driver's license in November 2008. At the tender young age of "I'm not telling you."

I have been driving for less than 2 years. How many cars have I had? Two.

I bought my first car on May 12, 2009. Although she wasn't the color I was hoping for we were a match made in nirvana. I named her Jetta James because, well, you know..."at last."

She had a sunroof, heated seats, heated mirrors, all wonderful things I have decided I cannot live without.

New Year's day of this year her and I, along with my siblings as my passengers, got t-boned by a gentleman running a red light.

The fact that he took full responsibility and that none of us were hurt were very little consolation to my pride. My precious Jetta James took a bullet for me and now her and I could roll no longer. My very first lesson in insurance matters, too. If it was not my fault, why was I the one being inconvenienced? I had to find another car and I was at the mercy of the appraisers who determined how much Jetta James was worth. Luckily it worked out well for me in the end, but I will always miss her.

March 8th, 2010, J.Lo (Jetta Lovely) entered my life. She's a year older, and her cupholder situation isn't as ideal as Jetta James, but she comes with her own special something: she's a turbo engine. She's a temptress, that J.Lo, but I do my best to try and follow the speed limits and be a good conscientious little driver. I mean, I'm up for my final probationary exam this November. I can't acquire bad driving habits and practices at this point in time. Calgary drivers aren't the greatest, clearly. Coming home from work I will be on pace with the car in front of me and I'll realize I'm driving Deerfoot speed on Macleod (100k vs 80k) When I do try to stick to the speed limits I notice other drivers do not have that much patience around me, but oh well, right? So long as they don't hit me and J.Lo we should all get along fine. She just makes it too easy to drive faster with the rest of them, is all. Weird Kid and his friends tease me that a 1.8T is not meant to be driven "slow." I'm sure it will be exhilarating taking her for my first highway drive this summer. Road trip, anyone?

Tokidoki by Simone Legno

Comments