"Love is a Mix Tape"

Hoh ho! You get two days of posting in a row; you lucky dog!

My coffee table is a whole to-do of books to read. You would think I would just write a list of things I would like to read someday. Instead, I end up with all these impulse purchases from our local bookstore, with a mental post-it note to read it sometime. On one day of wandering through the shelves I came across the cover "Talking to Girls About Duran Duran." Being that I am an amateur Duran Duran nut the book caught my attention right away. So then I found out the book was the second one written by Rob Sheffield; and Mr. Sheffield first wrote a book called "Love is a Mix Tape." So since the second book was only available in hardcover (and I'm not a fan of hardcover) and the first looked like an easy read in paperback it jumped into my open hands and came with me to the cash register.

The store clerk was really excited by my purchase...to the point that I was embarrassed that I had never heard of the author. At any rate, a consumer is always glad to receive some praise that he or she has made the right choice.

Anyway, I just finished the book and it is gorgeous. Think "High Fidelity" -- 'cuz it certainly runs in the same field -- but more honest. It's almost so open at times that I felt rude for intruding into his private and cherished memories. Apparently, Sheffield is a writer for the Rolling Stone and other fantabulous music magazines. Each chapter comes with its own soundtrack. The book is brilliant (but not genius).

I can't wait to read the second one. Alas, it does not come out in paperback until April. At least I have other books that I have not read yet to pass the time.

That's all from me today. I just felt like I would be doing everyone a huge disservice by not at least trying to let you guys know how marvelous the book is.

Tokidoki by Simone Legno

Comments