Walking on Sunshine, Whoooooooa

Well, not quite, but it is a gorgeous day outside. And things seem to be progressing nicely *knock on wood*

So exactly 7 days ago I was probably snapping out of my anesthetic and the deed was done. So how was it?

I would say the pain was at its worst straight out of surgery, in the recovery room. The nurses would ask me for my number -- on a scale of 1 to 10, 1 being mild and 10 being the worst pain I have ever experienced (that's practically verbatim, folks) -- and I said 5 off the bat. Unfortunately, she couldn't give me any painkillers yet as my breathing was still really slow. By the time she was able to administer anything I rated the pain at a 6. I don't know what the nurse gave me but it must have been some pretty terrific stuff because my number was never back up there again.

The rest of the day and into the evening I rated the pain at 1 or 2, at times even as ambitious as 0. Just like my very first surgery (a corneal transplant in 7th grade) I was taking the pain medication out of fear that there was actually pain hiding there somewhere and I was magically suppressing it...a proactive measure, I guess you could say. But I relaxed when I realized that the discomfort was barely there long after the medication was to have worn off. The only time I have take any painkillers now is before I take a bath.

Staying in what I jokingly call house arrest is ridiculously boring. The first couple of days I was groggy and I felt tight. I hated how my only options seemed to be to sit down or to lie down. Sitting down was numbing. Lying down was no fun for my back. I couldn't, and sadly I still cannot, do anything productive like the laundry or sorting out my closet. I have gone on short little excursions since Friday. So far so good. I avoid putting the seat belt across my chest and only use the lap portion. Dad has been a doll and driving me around again, and my mom has been an angel with baths. I cannot bend over, reach, raise my arms over my head, to the point where I feel like I am impersonating a stiff little robot.

I am grateful that I underwent this procedure while still living at home, if only for all the help my mom has given me. Of course my dad has been a blessing, too, but lots of others could drive me around. But my mom has seen the gross recovery business and stitches and such. It is very humbling being a grown woman and having to be bathed by your mom. I cannot imagine if I was married or living with a guy at the moment. Yeah yeah, if they loved me they wouldn't be grossed out and they'd be helping me yadda yadda. But still, I'm sure it would be a turn-off, if not for them then for me not feeling sexy with them looking at it. And plus, I have read that arousal can be painful during this time, so I'm just going to avoid that entirely right now.

Tomorrow is my follow up with my surgeon. Including my initial consultation years ago I think I have spent at most an hour and a half (alert and not passed out on the operating table) with him. Better get my questions ready; I always draw a blank when asked.

Tokidoki by Simone Legno

Comments