Niblets

Why are corn niblets spelled with one B whereas the word nibble has two? Moving on...

I really wish I could motivate myself to write in here whenever the mood strikes me. As it stands I have to play catch-up with my thoughts yet again.

Boob-watch 2011: I've been driving again for a month now. Hooray! I've also picked up a few "normal" bras. Have I lost a lot? Well, considering I was always too embarrassed to get the girls professionally fitted they are down a cup from what I used to wear (still haven't gotten them professionally fitted) and depending on the maker of the bra it's possible they have been downsized even two cups. Yowza. I'm feeling a lot better about them; sometimes I do miss them when I wear a top where they used to be more front-and-center...but that could just be similar to how us ladies feel when we have a dramatic haircut. I love the fact that dresses zip up with ease now (remind me to tell you about the day I was a bridesmaid dressed in burgundy...) and they fit as they should in all the right ways and in all the right places. Now I have to work on the tummy I extended to compensate for the prominent chest. Not to fret: I am not going under the knife for that one. That will be a battle I will tackle solo. I've done it before and I'll conquer it again! Hopefully sooner rather than later. What's the point of wearing cute tops if your belly's sticking out?!

Aidan-alert: I'm not quite sure where this is going, or if it's even going anywhere. More musings on that in a little while. The last time I saw him was for a great Karsh photography exhibit at the Glenbow. Despite all the texts back and forth it was the first time I'd physically seen him in months. He was all adorable in a button-down shirt, all serious about getting cultural. I was Saturday-slack. *dropped ball* I thought we'd just check out the photos (which were amazing, by the way, and I loved reading Karsh's notes on his impressions of the subjects) and then be on our way. Instead it turned into a super-long re-acquaintance with the museum. I'm pretty confident we visited every single exhibit. He had this incredible little commentary on a particular sculpture when all I had to contribute was "it's really pretty." Once again with the dropped ball. Then we had a yummy yummy uber late lunch at Sakana Grill -- but that worked out well 'cuz it was happy hour. (By the way, did you know they actually have free customer parking now? Newsflash to Leah)

It was a fabulous day. I'm not going to lie: visions of summer festival and field trip fun did polkas in my brain. Happy little me. And to my credit I did suggest that we have another field trip soon. Whether or not that next field trip happens is in his court, or I would very much like it to be in his court. But the boy does not seem keen on making plans with me. Alas and le sigh.

So...options. As much as my heart isn't really into it I've been trying to keep myself open to other potential guys. There was this one (does he get his own name yet? Enh, we'll call him Boeing) who started messaging me on online-dating-site-which-shall-remain-nameless-on-here. The guy is great and we have lots to talk about. He's a self-professed airplane geek so it was really cool to hear his impressions on the new Dreamliner coming out and what it would be like to fly on the just-announced see-through Airbus. He works for one of my favorite airlines, and to boot he used to work for one of my favorite cruise lines. Conversation at dinner was effortless but at the end of the date I just didn't feel any real attraction to him. And it was kind of creepy that he was dressed very similar to Aidan from just a few days before. (Oh, and that we had dinner where Aidan and I had tried to go for dinner just a few days before. Is someone up there playing with me?!) He'd make an amazing friend, though, given the interests we have in common. Not words guys who go on dating sites want to hear, I'm sure. He's also pretty new to the city and I think it'd be a blast to show him around. Maybe I'll get to do all those festivals and field trips this summer, just not with the companion I had in mind. But at the same time I don't want to potentially lead him on if he thinks these outings are going to be "dates." Hmmph. Mountains. Molehills. Beans.

Also, not so long ago Berger came out of the woodwork. Predictably, he was going to be in town for a wedding and wondered if I wanted to hook up. He's not even trying to sugarcoat it anymore, folks. We're just not going to go there, thanksandbuhbye.

So to get you completely up to speed I had a great dinner last night with a friend I made at my last continuing ed class. Somehow Aidan came up in the conversation and I found myself confiding in her about the frustration of how slow things seem with him. Turns out she used to date a guy similar in stereotype to Aidan and she experienced the same deal..."like pulling teeth." So now this was interesting, see. Are guys of this particular make/model all like this? But Aidan had a girlfriend for a long time and she seemed to have no problem going out and doing things with him (whoa, Leah, didn't mean to compare myself with someone of "girlfriend" status) What made her so different that she gets to go and have fun activities with him and I don't?

Surely I cannot be just imagining this. He has talked about how they have gone to the ballet, how she somehow got him to take dance lessons with her... I think I've maybe seen him face to face 7 times in one year. I've lost count, but I'm almost certain it's less than 10 times. He's always in touch, but never face time.

I'm afraid I may very well be a poster child for those "He's Just Not That Into You" authors. Egads.

Anyway, not that she was offering up a solution/distraction to the Aidan drama but I guess my name came up when she was out with some other friends...being that I am single and in their age group. Insert single guy of same age group. I stressed to her that I was hoping she wasn't mentioning this all with our sole common trait being our single status -- hate when people do that. She admitted it was part of the reason, because singles in our age group are a "rare breed." Really?! But aside from that she gave a good pitch for the guy. "Open mind," thought Leah...

So after dinner we went back to her condo and she showed me some of his photos on a popular social networking site. By the end of the night she suggested we befriend each other. Is that how modern matchmaking works? So she helped me creep his profile, and possible he's done the same to mine. Neither one of us has made a peep as of yet. I guess we'll see.


Tokidoki by Simone Legno

Comments