(If You're Wondering If I Want You To) I Want You To

Both dates went pretty great but for completely different reasons. How is a girl supposed to figure out who to go after?

The guy I met at the speed dating event (should I give them names? Will they be around long enough to warrant names?) is uber easy to talk to. Conversation flows non-stop and admittedly he is not bad to look at at all. But something in my gut says we'd be better off as friends...however my gut has been wrong about plenty of guys (Hello, Aidan.) so can I even be certain of my instincts? SANDy asked if I had any spark/did I want to jump him and I had to answer "no" to the jumping bit. At the same time, I don't tend to feel the want to jump guys right away. (Ask Daisy and she will boast that she KNEW I was going to fool around with Aidan before I even knew myself that I was going to fool around with him. She claims she knew all along.) We went for tea and were planning on doing some sheesha later on. Didn't get around to the sheesha but we put it down for "next time" so that must be a good thing; that we're thinking of "next time"s. I was super impressed and appreciated that he came up with a completely different date from the standard and he proved that he's familiar with a lot of the fun districts in the city so I thought that was great. He's extremely busy during the summer from the sounds of it, though, with all the sports he likes to play. Maybe I feel it's more of a friend potential since I can see him and I going about around the city the way Civic and I do during the summer when he's off from school. Like maybe this guy could swap in when Civic goes back to school and this guy's sports slow down for the season. He's quite attractive, though, so we'll see if my mind/libido have other plans than what I figure is going to happen.

Guy Friday is also super easy to talk to and we have plenty in common -- but at times I wonder if his replies are just in agreeance with mine because he doesn't know what I'm talking about or if he doesn't care either way (it's very rare to find people who appreciate Saturday Night Fever like I do). One of the first questions I ever asked him was what Pulp Fiction character he resonated with most and he replied with Butch and/or the Wolf. Impressive since I consider myself as Fabienne (although who wouldn't want to be Mia Wallace?!)! Because we love films so much our first date was the typical dinner and a movie (Batman!) but I didn't knock it since it suited us perfectly. If SANDy and I had had a pow wow about Bachelor No. 2 and she asked me if I wanted to jump him... again I'd have to say "no" but I have an easier time picturing him and I as a couple compared to me and the speed date guy. We'd be a more comfortable coupling. Perhaps I'm insecure about how I could keep up with Mr. Attractive Thursday? I don't know.

On Saturday, Baby Sis and I went to Kensington with my best friend (whoa, I can't remember her name on my blog anymore! Has it been that long since I wrote about her?) and her little brood. Her husband came along, too, which was a surprise but not unwelcome. It just meant I couldn't discuss my recent dates with her over lunch or anything. We had a delicious time on the Julio's Barrio patio then followed up with a jaunt to the Rocket to make some t-shirts. I was behind in giving my goddaughter her birthday present so Saturday was supposed to be her gift...tshirt and candy and such. We also stopped by The Candy Kid and picked up some num nums, visited Wake Bistro for some gelato, then toyed around Livingstone & Cavell where I got her a cute robot mood ring. I would have loved to get one for myself they were so cute and quirky! But I refrained. Alas, Crave was closed so no cupcakes for us, but it was just as well. We had stopped by the bank to visit with DJ SpyderMonkey and he suggested another candy store for us so that was to be our next stop. It was in Glamorgan, and dare I say it was simply called "Candy" though I can't be too sure. They had delicious cherry 7-up and vanilla coke, cherry coke, and other crazy soda flavors. But the big draw for me was their box full of vintage Michael Jackson bubble gum cards! Sadly, the ancient gum ruined the one card because it had fused to it, but it was still a cool purchase. Another bummer was that the famously delicious Glamorgan bakery had already closed for the evening... Destiny had a way of keeping us from over-indulging, for sure.

Back at home for a yummy dinner of ribs and then Civic and I planned to get together for bevvies and dessert. We met up at the Crossroads Farmers Market (already closed) and tried to come up with somewhere new to hang out. But since it was a beautiful day and a walk would be grand we went back to our regular stomp Uptown (but we also wandered around 4th). We happened across Marble Slab Creamery's Customer Appreciation Day where all the medium cones were 1.99....so even though I had already had gelato that day how could I resist?! Wander wander wander. Somehow I became fixated on mac and cheese -- oh I remember why; Fat City Franks' special hot dog of the day had mac and cheese on it. Complete winner if I ever heard of one! -- but somehow my mission was left incomplete but I wasn't sad. We checked out Waves Coffee House and had some iced vanilla rooibos tea. 2 for 1 summer friend special! Done.

We spent the rest of the night out on the Waves patio and just kept on yammering. He asked what brought on all the dates and even speed dating all of a sudden. I guess I just figured nothing/noone was exactly heading my way so I had to help things along. He talked about how it was pretty damn difficult for him to find a single Chinese girl our age. :( As per our nature we naturally talked about other peoples' success and failures in the dating world and how we could learn from them/how we'd never be like them/how they were so off base. I wish I could help him find somebody but I thought about what he said re: single Chinese girls and I don't know very many Chinese girls, let alone single ones. Maybe I can find some on the sites I dabble in. It's also fantastic that I have a male perspective that I can bounce my dating sitches on. I don't think many girls can be so lucky as to say that.

My four day weekend is only 25% done (well, I guess we're winding down on 50%) Gotta love summer.

Tokidoki by Simone Legno

Comments