What Are You Doing New Year's Eve?

Social engagements galore. Things with Butch are going amazing, I think, except for that between him and I we have so many family and friends that sometimes are plans get doubled up...and that's where things get rough.

I'm not used to bringing someone new into the mix; so when I invite him to someone's birthday or party I guess it comes across pretty vague.

This past weekend he got to meet my best friend and her little family. In my eyes he was going to meet her and her husband and the 3 mini-besties, her parents, and that was pretty much it. But I guess the more I talked to him about it the more he felt it was more than he had signed up for. That's fair. And it doesn't help that I only start talking about it closer to the event. As with the birthday party a few weeks ago. It was the day of when he finally told me all frustrated that he didn't even know whose birthday it was and where we were going. I suppose so long as I knew he was free and willing to come those major details didn't really matter to me. Oops.

I'm working on it, or trying my best to fill him in as much as I can now. When I say it's just a small party close friends of mine pretty much know small parties don't really exist in my family circle. His mom was asking what does my family do for the holidays; I'm not sure if that was her way to figure out when I could fit in with them or it was just a polite conversation thing. He's got lots of family, too, so I can't assume he'll always be there with me for my gatherings, or even if he'd be keen to attend.

I've invited him to Christmas Day dinner as I assume it will be held at our house once again. Attendees are still up in the air but I debriefed him on the usual suspects (though so late at night lying all relaxed I don't know how attentive either of us were at that point). My godmother has also extended an invite to him for our usual New Year's Eve party...didn't really discuss who would be there but for the most part, as far as who matters to me, he has already met most of them.

I just hope he is ok with all of this. He's quite to the point when he feels frustrated about not knowing our plans; whereas I think I could argue I've been in the same boat re: his plans at times, I'm just a pansy and suck it up. But it's always worked out fine. Hopefully he fits in well with everyone; I know we're still early days but I can't help compare this little social snag with my one uncle married into the family. Doesn't come to family gatherings much and sadly I think all parties feel more at ease that way. I love my godmother and I hope she's happy with him but I've always felt that I have to have someone who feels at home with my people and who is accepted by my people as well. Surely that isn't too much to ask?

My friends and I have had this discussion before. They argue along the veins of "you can't help who you love" and so if the two sides don't get along then so be it. But one can easily snap back that we love our families just as much...so if they're going to word it like that the situation becomes "who do you love more?" Family and friends should always be there for you, and they will always know you a lot more and a lot longer than any guy that steps into your life...so that kind of puts the guys at a significant handicap, no? They disagree. If you end up with a guy that your family doesn't really jive with then it's your family's problem to get over it. But gee, when the guy you supposedly loved just bails look who is there to pick you up and console you?!

I must be jumping way too far ahead of myself here. Like I said everything seems to be going great, and everyone who's met him all like him and hopefully his side feels the same way. He's just more vocal about feeling awkward and I in turn interpret it as him not wanting to be around. Ugh, I need to just chill.

Tokidoki by Simone Legno

Comments