Another Twist

So the travel office had a conference call with the rest of the corporate offices this morning -- of course I was not able to attend because I was busy doing my work with the call centre but I had a feeling I knew what was about to go down. Sure enough, when I checked my travel email during my lunch break an email advising me of my "temporary layoff" was waiting for me. I figured it was an easy decision for them to make since I am only there for a handful of hours each week, with little sales to show for it at this time. If my layoff meant that the office would have an easier time staying afloat then I was fine with that. To be honest, if it was a permanent layoff, although it would have been very sad, it might have been just the kick I needed to move on 100%. What I had not expected, though, was that they were effectively "temporarily" closing all of our offices down. Here in Calgary there will only be three senior consultants maintaining all of our current clients and files. None of these consultants are my direct colleagues. My entire office is being closed temporarily. Temporary temporary temporary temporarily...it gives promise but who knows how long this is all going to go on for? From all of the "temporary" layoffs I have seen going on in the travel industry, the drastic measures, the grounded planes...this is going to take a very long time to get back to pre-COVID levels of operation. I understand it's not just the travel industry, but it's what I know and they are the effects that keep coming and washing out all of my former colleagues and the sales reps I came to know. It's all so crazy. I cannot help but feel absolutely grateful I stepped into my new job when I did. Even when dad passed away and made me doubt if I just made things more difficult on myself I have to be convinced that my career change was timed and happened for a reason. I'm sure dad knows that and is looking out for me all the time, I just wish he was around so we could actually talk about it together. Tomorrow is birthday XLI. So much has changed in the past few months that it feels like it has been at least 5 years, not just one, since I celebrated birthday XL. I'm sure this is not what everyone meant when they said time just starts speeding up the older you get. At this rate I'll need more than a seatbelt to buckle down for the ride.

Comments