The Opposite of Self-Isolating

Mom and baby sister are pretty much going stir-crazy and I'm being too lenient of a "parent" and not enforcing the social distancing measures enough. Sunday morning I grabbed some coffee for the three of us and a bagel for my breakfast (I miss my lazy Sunday brunches with Butch so much) and got to the house in time for the 10am livestream of our Bishop celebrating mass downtown...only the livestream did not seem to be working. So we watched a YouTube video of mass from Toronto and ordered our lunch for delivery from Big T's BBQ for 1:30. I then brought them to Superstore to do their grocery shopping. Weird Kid and I have been trying to get mom to give us her shopping list but she purposefully withholds the info because she needs it as a reason to get out of the house. Superstore was pretty good at keeping things clean -- I have not seen these types of measures at Walmart. As soon as we came in with a shopping cart from the parking lot they came and sprayed the handle with cleaner and wiped it down and squirted hand sanitizer into our hands for use. The cashier lines have the tape marks going all the way down the aisle across so that everyone knows exactly how far apart they have to be in line. There's your usual plexiglass (I can't believe I call it "usual" seeing as this wasn't our norm 2 weeks ago) between the cashier and the shoppers. But the cashier I was in line for actually took the extra step of wiping down/sanitizing the conveyor belt in between customers. You could not put your groceries on the belt until the shopper before you was finished with their transaction. I was actually pretty impressed with their process. Back at home we unpacked all the groceries and then enjoyed our BBQ. Their brisket sandwiches looked good, I don't usually turn my nose at brisket, but I had suggested Big T because I was craving their chicken and waffles. I think I chose wrong in the end. It was still good but not as generous or juicy as I remember it. My sister's hush puppies looked fantastic. After lunch we drove out to see dad and collect the wreath we purchased for his birthday. I have visions of attaching solar lights all around it much like the ones Butch found for our little fence in the backyard. When we got to his gravesite the edges they dug to create his grave were still very clear and distinct and all the snow had melted off of his plot exposing all the mud that was piled on to cover dad's vault. I couldn't help but cry which got my sister sympathizing with me -- it all just looked too "new" and yet dad has already been gone a quarter of a year...a whole season. After the cemetery visit we went to Dollarama to get them some arts & crafts gear to keep the busy and "not bored." A canvas, plastic palette, and set of paintbrushes for each of us and then my sister and I picked out some colors we wanted from what was left available at the store. Mom was busy wandering up and down the aisles, something I would usually do, but I just wanted to get them in and out of there as fast as possible because I was already feeling guilty for exposing them to so many people right now and plus the Dollarama was way too full of shoppers. The level of social distancing was too close for my liking. When I got home I took a little nap and then (finally) took down the Christmas lights and garland out in the front. Butch needed to get some things from his office because he is going to be my "office mate" for the next two weeks! So instead of cooking anything for dinner we had McDonalds. :P

Comments