"The sickening! It's happening!"

You deserve a cookie if you know where that line is from. Life is definitely imitating a (poorly scripted) sci-fi movie. COVID-19 policies everywhere keep changing. Kinjo Sushi on Tuesday announced that, as per AHS recommendations, they were going to cut the customer capacity by 50% or 50 guests, whichever is less. The next day they sent out another announcement that the dining rooms were now closed and only takeout and delivery options remained. This morning my teammates and I came into work to do our thing; our team leader came in when he was scheduled off (is that a problem given the 50% on 50% off rotational work schedule?) because he knew we had lots of questions and just to put us more at ease. Before he left early that afternoon he let us know that tomorrow we were scheduled off again...if he didn't call us over the weekend then we could expect to be at the office on Monday. Maybe an hour later his leader-partner was coming over to all of us asking if we had landlines at home, did we have Ethernet cable capabilities? 3:30pm and a third of us (don't forget, we were only at 50% occupancy today) had already started unplugging things and packing things up. I had to make a decision on the fly if I was going to pack up and work from home now or later -- the buddy-leader was heavily encouraging us to go home sooner rather than later and that all of us were going to end up in our houses by the end of this whole procedure. So I called Butch and asked for help with a pick-up...I had a recycling bin full of most of my gear and one monitor, the other monitor required a second trip to my pod. They let us take the monitors, keyboards, mice, EVERYTHING. At first I thought that was ridiculous since I have that stuff at home, but then I second guessed myself and figured it would be best to have everything "work" and everything "mine" separate. There was no way I was going to be able to lug all this stuff to the parkade shuttle even though I got an amazing parking spot today. Once this all has passed it's going to be a massive pain to bring this all back to the office and set up again. Some of my teammates and classmates still refuse to leave the call centre. I get it. The call centre offers a lot of peer support, it's going to be so lonely working without all the usual faces. Some of them don't have landlines and if you choose to get one so you can work at home is at your own cost. One of my teammates does not have Ethernet. Some of them don't want to work from home because they cannot guarantee they won't be interrupted now that all the kids are home from school for the rest of the school year. Who knows how long we'll be doing this work-from-home stuff...and us newbies are only on contract until the end of May! Pretty sure we're going to be extended, though. And just when we were all really bonding and getting into the groove of our work environment and they isolate all of us. Literally! But like my brother said "suck it up." We all have to look out for ourselves, and as a result one another. Alberta just reported its first coronavirus death. And a headline I read from Ontario was reporting the death of a 51-year-old man who had not recently travelled and pretty much kept to himself at home. They have no idea how he contracted the virus. Like I said, the world is a crazy sci-fi movie right now. Complete with it's ridiculous clown world leaders. Who knows what tomorrow is going to be like? And who knew my daily blog commitment would be so filled with a world medical crisis?

Comments