Drive-Thru Palm Sunday

The world is adapting as best it can. Life has become absolutely bizarre. Today is Palm Sunday for us Catholics...and instead of worshiping together in our churches we have to watch YouTube videos or live streams of the mass. We cannot receive communion but instead say a prayer of spiritual communion. My church offered blessed palms for anyone who wanted to come by and pick it up, but maximum 2 palms per car. Drive around the back, drop what you wish into the collection basket they would bring to your window, continue on and someone else would place the palms in your passenger seat. I got lucky and received 4 palms but honestly I think they were just getting too cold to stand outside for much longer so they were doing their best to finish their supply. Everyone was wearing a mask. 2020 church procedures, everyone. Then mom wanted some fish and iceberg lettuce. Weird Kid had already gone grocery shopping and I agreed he should not have to go out again (a bit of lecturing from the both of us that mom really needs to get her shopping list to us a bit earlier and more complete. We're doing our best to keep her and baby sister safe, the least she could do is make sure we minimize our exposure out there as well.) I had not done my shopping for the week yet so I stepped up to the task. This was the first time I had seen Wal-Mart "busy" enough to have their social distancing measures in place. Metal railings as if you are lined up to enter the club. Everyone in queue 2 meters apart. Each aisle of the grocery section was "one way" only. That tripped me up quite a bit. It would have probably been best if I just marched up and down each aisle with the flow even if I had no business in that aisle. At least I would not have had to double back at random and swim upstream, earning me some judgmental looks from other shoppers. Oh yeah, and they have the plexiglass in place now for the cashiers. All those health measures still cause me to get all hypochondriac-like and feel a scratch in my throat as soon as I leave. I drove through Tim Horton's to pick up some drink treats for mom and sister. Then I sorted out our groceries from theirs, placed them on the porch, and rang the doorbell. I don't think mom understands still that we should REALLY be doing this. But we'll get through it. I got a text from my sister later thanking me for the Justin Bieber CD I threw in with their grocery order. :P I had been hoping to help them get their digital Alberta ID set up but now that we have to be apart I'm going to have to try and talk them through it. These should be interesting times.

Comments